Abbott is a global healthcare company devoted to improving life through the development of products and technologies that span the breadth of healthcare. With a portfolio of leading, science-based offerings in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott serves people in more than 150 countries and employs approximately 70,000 people.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION:
Provide R&D technical service support as a Customer Systems Engineer (CSE) during the design, development and release of new instrument platforms (Hematology diagnostic equipment). Skill set should include:
Provide leadership to Level 3 field support process globally; including training; remote support; and onsite support. Liaison between global field service organization; and internal functions such as manufacturing; quality; R&D; etc. Designs; develops; and implements service strategy and documentation for both customer and employee support. Provides leadership of cross-functional teams; including the management of all project deliverables. Provides guidance and feedback to associates and professionals to insure service and support expectations and goals are met.
- demonstrated ability to write technical documentation such as installation and replacement procedures, theory of operation, troubleshooting tips and information (submit example copy for review)
- experience in designing or maintaining robotic based handling systems, precision fluid controls and combined electromechanical systems
- formal technical foundation in electronic or mechanical engineering technology, design engineering, or at least 5 years work experience in a field demanding these skills
- able to discuss detailed technical information with mechanical and electrical design engineers, understanding of material compatibility considerations, then be able to restate results of discussions in layman terms for specialists of other disciplines
- able to learn fundamentals of laboratory practice from medical professionals if coming from an external industry
- experience working on cross-functional teams of diverse skills and disciplines in order to achieve a common goal while representing interests of the represented group
- able to clearly articulate goals, requirements and concerns while representing a technical support group as part of a larger cross functional team
- fundamental computer documentation skills expected (word processing, file management, graphic presentation, spreadsheet analysis)
- demonstrated ability to operate remotely representing the parent organization while providing direct support, user and technical training, troubleshooting and troubleshooting guidance
- confidence in personal experience and knowledge combined with interest and ability to learn new skills, disciplines and points of view
- short term international work experience in multiple regions a plus
- understanding of basics of both servo and stepper motor motion control a plus
- respect for skills and experience of other cross functional team members with a clear understanding of value of diverse roles a requirement
- Clear understanding of serviceability, proactive service, predictive service and part reliability is needed.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
1. Level 3 Field Support:
- Provides phone email coverage and documentation.
- Identifies and troubleshoots basic instrument and/or assay issues. This includes the use of the service tools; manuals and log analysis; as appropriate.
- Develop action plans for account resolutions.
- Performs technical responsibilities of local service personnel; such as performing repairs; TSBs; and installs.
- Identifies key and emerging field issues; and creates action plans for resolution.
- Develops new strategies for the use of log analysis for issue resolution.
- Ensures Lessons Learned are incorporated into service documentation
3. Service Documentation:
- Trains students (internal or external) in either classroom or field setting. Field cotravels to receive On the Job (OJT) training.
- Follows processes and procedures related to instrumentation and how to properly interact with customers.
- Critically evaluates student performance and provides feedback to management team.
- Trains/mentors new trainers
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) for technical content development; review; and for overall curriculum design
4. Product Support
- Redlines and/or develops service/ quality documents with assistance by senior professional.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) for cross functional site documents.
- Performs service documentation approval process while forming relationships with the appropriate areas.
5. Service Strategy
- Represents Global Service at cross functional meetings. Creates presentation and training materials for cross-functional or service business meetings
- Identifies and prioritizes service needs (new parts; new projects; new training/support materials; etc.) Assists with the development and maintenance of retrofit budget.
- As a project team leader; develops overall project timelines and deliverables; leads meetings; provides updates to management and overall team.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITY / SCOPE:
- Identify; develop; and implement new service tools; parts; and procedures to reduce service costs globally. This includes providing input on retrofit budget strategy; and Top-10 issue tracking.
- Lead cross-functional teams (TPD; manufacturing; local service; etc) to resolve instrument; software; and/or assay issues. Creates and implements service strategies for remote monitoring; tracking; and reporting.
- Develops service strategy for new product launches and revises service strategy for on-market products. This includes service costs analysis; parts stocking recommendations; remote diagnostics strategies; life-cycle planning; etc.
Peer leadership position within GSS providing guidance and feedback to the associate and service professional. Works with ADD Service Representatives worldwide to ensure timely issue escalation/resolution. Ensures compliant; technically accurate service documentation. Works closely with R&D; TPD; and Marketing to develop and implement service strategy on existing and new products.
Minimum 6 years of work experience in clinical laboratory, biomedical engineering, diagnostic medical equipment servicing, or related service or laboratory field.
Associates Degree or equivalent certification in Science; Engineering; Allied Health or scientific or engineering related field.
Preferred: BS Degree in Science; Engineering; Allied Health or related field
Significant Work Activities and Conditions
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods ( more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Abbott Laboratories - 16 months ago
Filling baby bottles and treating disease... these are the habits of Abbott. Abbott Laboratories is a top health care products manufacturer....