1. Provides leadership and manages implementation of corporate trade compliance program as it relates to US import and export activities of our company.
2. HTS Classification
Classifies SHW products with Harmonized Tariff Schedule of US and HTS of other countries using general rules of interpretation, other tariff regulatory information, product chemistry, product function and historic governmental interpretations.
3. Country of Origin Determination
Determines country of origin of manufactured products based on evaluation of raw materials, manufacturing processes and costs, transformation rules and product’s manufacturing locations.
4. Free Trade Agreements Eligibility Review
a. Determines eligibility of manufactured products for preferential treatments under GSP and free trade agreements such as NAFTA, CAFTA, etc
b. Ensures proper documentation, such as raw material certificates of Origin, are collected from suppliers as required, indexed and maintained in product's databases. Works with purchasing groups to procure annual COO for both chemical raw materials, intermediates and purchased articles such as tape, brushes, rollers, shirts, pants, color cards.
c. Responds to internal and external customer inquiries for HTS classification, ECCN and USML and requests for COO, NAFTA and other FTA certificates of origin
d. Reviews trade activities and evaluate opportunities for refunds and savings in import taxes and duties of various countries
e. Manages duty refund application programs.
5. Regulatory Assurance
a. Works with various internal groups and divisions on continuous improvement of processes/procedures that help ensure import/export related regulatory compliance and facilitate timely import and export customs clearance of our shipments.
b. Performs internal audits of import and export related actives, verify adherence to internal policies and procedures.
c. Assesses and evaluates newly acquired operations, wholly owned subsidiaries for trade compliance related risks and duty saving opportunities.
d. Supports trade compliance process improvement efforts by evaluating existing practices and procedure, identifying process improvement opportunities and recommending solutions.
• 2-3 years of experience in formulating various coatings and related chemical products.
• Good understanding of organic and polymer chemistry as it applies to making various SW products including but not limited to paints, caulks, pigments, lubricants, cleaners and other related chemical products that we manufacture.
• Strong knowledge of various chemical components and additives as well as in-depth understanding of their properties and functions within the finished product.
• Knowledge and understanding of chemical and physical properties, characteristics, functions and application methods of various finished products manufactured by SW
• Intermediate Level Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Access.
• Advanced Knowledge of Excel and Access
• Working knowledge of Business Objects
• Import/Export experience is a plus
• Experience interpreting codes of federal regulations
• Experience in dealing with governmental agencies
• The position requires responsiveness to the immediate needs of internal and external customers
• The incumbent must be detailed oriented and must possess skills to multi-task and manage time and commitments
• The incumbent must possess strong problem solving skills with ability to offer best solutions to business units while complying with all applicable laws and regulations.
• Intermediate level of Microsoft Excel and Access. Ability to manage and analyze large amount of data using those applications.
• Team player with excellent communication skills that must be able to work with and respond to all levels of management and peers in laboratories, manufacturing and distribution sites, stores and facilities and all other internal sites and departments
BS / BA in Chemistry or related field.
• This position has the authority to provide recommendations and guidance related to importing and exporting of raw materials and finished goods in and out of the US, Canada, Mexico and other countries.
• This position is moderately supervised and therefore, it is expected that incumbent will seek second opinions on recommendations with significant financial impact
• The position has authority to represent the Company on certain trade compliance issues when dealing with outside customers
• Approval from immediate supervisor is required when representing the Company with US and foreign governmental regulatory agencies.
No matter how you coat it, Sherwin-Williams is one of the largest paint manufacturers in the US and worldwide (along with Akzo-Nobel, PPG...