Development & Alumni Relations Communications Coordinator
Department: Development & Alumni Relations
Founded in 1813, Colby College in Waterville, Maine, is one of the nation's oldest and best independent liberal arts colleges, enrolling approximately 1,825 students. Colby is a national leader in research and project-based undergraduate learning, and the depth of student-faculty interaction and collaboration is unparalleled. Colby embraces and honors a 200 year tradition of fostering intellectual and personal growth with graduates emerging as conscientious, committed, courageous and inspired leaders ready to make a profound impact on their world. Colby is a national leader in environmental sustainability and education with award-winning campus greening initiatives and academic program. Colby invites applications for the position of:
DEVELOPMENT AND ALUMNI RELATIONS COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
The Coordinator will work closely with the Associate Director of Development and Alumni Relations Communications in all aspects of communicating on behalf of Development with our various constituencies. The Associate Director will be tasked with creating a strategic and comprehensive communications plan for Development, and the Coordinator will provide input into the creation of this plan, and align his or her work with the plan’s strategic objectives. S/he will be the point person in the division for all Communications requests and will work with the Associate Director to create, schedule and ultimately deliver projects on time.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Works with staff and in-house and/or outside designers and vendors to research, write, design, and produce donor-oriented publications, including invitations, slides, newsletters, brochures, volunteer guides, handbooks, registration forms, nametags, charts, booklets, solicitation materials, flash presentations, videos, etc.
• Works with Senior Web Developer/Analyst to plan, implement, maintain, and periodically enhance the department’s web pages, including frequent updates and additions.
• Acts as the primary resource and point person for the broadcast e-mail tool and event registration forms, editing all text as needed, working with graphics, and formatting.
• Participates in the production, writing, design, and sending of “Out of the Blue” and “Out of the Blue for Parents” electronic newsletters.
• Assists appropriate staff with the planning and production of materials related to events such as reunion, alumni college, family homecoming weekend, Parent’s Executive Committee Weekend, Career Weekend, etc.
• Participates in Reunion Weekend and other events as needed.
The Development and Alumni Relations Communications Coordinator must be able to elicit and verify information, obtain assistance and cooperation, and provide information and assistance to customers of Development and Alumni Relations, including the following skills:
• Baccalaureate degree from an accredited liberal arts college along with a commitment to the ideals of a liberal arts education
• Excellent command of language and oral and written communication skills
• Substantial experience with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• A working knowledge of electronic media, including Web research and basic HTML functions
• Substantial experience with Adobe CS software: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
• Ability to present ideas and work effectively with peers and donors
• Experience in negotiating for goods and services with graphic designers, printers, promotional marketers, and related service providers
• Working knowledge of marketing
• Consistent sensitivity to the client service and public relations impact of all Development activities
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage project budgets and expectations
• Unwavering attention to deadlines and detail
• An ability to work collegially under time constraints
Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary. Walking, standing, bending, and twisting is required. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary.
General office and campus environment. Duties require that employee interact with faculty, staff, students and outside vendors.
Colby College - 12 months ago