Responsible for performing the accurate delivery of prescribed ionizing therapeutic radiation to adolescent through geriatric patient populations, under the direction of a Radiation Oncologist, using a variety of complex techniques and equipment. Shares and coordinates key information through documentation and oral communication, with other members of the healthcare team.
- Implements prescription, and treatment plan as directed by the Radiation Oncologist
- Determines the impact of therapeutic interventions on the patient’s condition and recognizes the patient’s progress towards meeting the desired outcomes
- Operation of the therapeutic equipment, proper patient identification, proper patient positioning, monitoring of the patient during the procedure, and related documentation.
- Educate patients on procedures, skin care, side effects and nutrition
- Observe patients for physical and emotional changes, side effects and nutrition needs
- Performs simulation procedures and prepares immobilization devices for various body parts
- Monitors patients’ clinical progress and refers patients to medical or nursing staff for appropriate intervention
- Performs daily equipment warm-up and quality assurance procedures
- Evaluates treatment machine operations; recognizes machine malfunctions and reports to physics as appropriate.
- Adhere to strict radiation safety guidelines
- Ability to perform procedures regarding quality assurance, emergency shutdown and guidelines that pertain to the operation manuals for equipment
- Communicates clearly with all members of the health care team, patients, and families.
- Adheres to quality and safety standards, organizational and departmental policies and procedures to promote positive patient outcomes.
- Accurately complete and chart all simulation and treatment summaries, reports and documentations within the EMR.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
- Performs other assigned duties.
Graduate of accredited school of Radiation Therapy.
Registered in Radiation Therapy by the American Registry of Radiologic Technology (ARRT). Licensed by the State of Iowa as a Radiation Therapist.
Mary Greeley Medical Center - 18 months ago