The Volunteer Programs Coordinator will serve in a part-time (approximately 20 hours/week) capacity to help carry out United Way Silicon Valley's volunteerism strategy. This includes supporting the Volunteer Program Manager in implementation of group volunteer opportunities, community-based volunteer events and volunteer programs. The Coordinator will assist in developing and maintaining stakeholder relationships and logistics associated with implementing these activities. The Coordinator may be called upon to support volunteer recruitment and training in selected UWSV programs, and provide coordination support as needed to the CBI Department.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Assist with planning and executingstrategic one-day and special project volunteer opportunities to advance UWSV's work of helping to improve student achievement in East San Jose (including Holiday Giving Program, Read Across America Day, Summer Reading Kit Program, Day of Action, etc.)
- Work with Resource Development staff to develop and implement customized volunteer activities for corporate partners, outside of strategic volunteer events, with non-profit partner agencies
- Develop quality working relationships with non-profit partners and personnel within the Alum Rock School District in East San Jose (including principals, administration staff, office staff and teachers)
- Develop quality working relationships with current and/or prospective corporate partners and donors and help connect them to our work in East San Jose
- Assist with tracking of volunteer engagement using our internal CRM tool (ANDAR)
- Assist with coordination of logistics for UWSV's Early Literacy Mentoring work (e.g. the 'Yes We Can Read" Initiative), as needed
- Demonstrate the highest standards of personal integrity, teamwork, and accountability
- Clearly communicate the organization's mission, ensuring everyone works toward the same goals
- Provide coordination support for the Community Building Department as needed
- Other duties as assigned by management
Experience and Education
- Experience with volunteer event management
- Strong commitment to excellence, a desire to improve lives and a high level of energy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong project and event management skills
- Strong relationship building skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills with high attention to detail
- Advanced computer skills including MS Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher)
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work, make decisions, and access resources independently.
- Availability to work varied hours, including evenings and weekends, and travel locally as well as throughout the region as needed.
- Ability to work effectively as a member on a cross-functional team
- Ability to type at a keyboard comfortably during a regular work shift
- Ability to lift at least 25 pounds
- Valid driver's license and access to car with current and valid insurance.
United Way Silicon Valley is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from bilingual and multilingual candidates.
- BA/BS degree in a relevant field preferred
- Experience in the field of non-profit or volunteer program management preferred
- Fluency in Spanish highly desired
- Experience with social networking sites, e.g., Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook.
- Demonstrated track record of setting and meeting goals
Job offers at UWSV are contingent upon submission to, and successful completion of, background checks and drug/alcohol screens.