Lead and manage strategic planning and tactical service operations for the vocational rehabilitation program. This includes the development and oversight of approximately 45 contract Network Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors. Lead and manage the internal placement program for injured employees. Furnish strategic leadership and professional consultation for the Return to Work Program including Temporary Productive Work, Restricted Activity Programs, Field Training, Job Specific Job Analysis and the Accommodation Process. Serve as a fact witness regarding the Union Pacific vocational rehabilitation program in depositions and in trial settings on a system-wide basis. In the absence of Director Disability Prevention & Management, direct the operations of the Disability Prevention and Management Program.
The Union Pacific Disability Prevention and Management organization is seeking a seasoned, mid-career professional with strong leadership skills who can drive innovation and strategic vision in the areas of disability and absence management. Successful candidate will lead and manage the vocational rehabilitation program, the internal placement program, and reasonable accommodation team processes. The Disability and Prevention work unit reports through the UP Health and Medical organization. The position is administered in compensation band C for salary administration programs. The position is located at UP Center in Omaha, Nebraska; 1400 Douglas St. Applications accepted online only through February 26, 2013.
- Leadership. In absence of Director Disability Prevention & Management (DP&M), direct the operations of the work unit. Provide consultation and technical information to Region Managers DP&M, other company managers, and employees regarding DP&M issues and service requests. Advise Director DP&M Prevention and Management on matters of policy, strategy and organization.
- Disability Management Program Development. Propose and implement strategies to develop and promote company disability management programs. Ensure that company disability management programs and services reflect current best practices and are meeting emerging needs of the Company.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Program Network Development. Lead and manage strategic planning and tactical service operations for the vocational rehabilitation program. This includes the development and oversight of approximately 45 contract Network Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors. Drive continuous improvements in Union Pacific's Vocational Rehabilitation Services program. Authorize vocational rehabilitation services for UP employees through the centralized letter process. Assign counselors to employee cases and monitor their activities and outcomes. Maintain and promote the utilization of the Network Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Billing Guidelines.
- Internal Placement Program. Evaluate employees under consideration for various job placement options internal or external to UPRR. Communicate options to our employees by means of letters or teleconferences. Authorize and monitor retraining plans and field training/OJT plans submitted by NVRC counselors or other DP&M managers. Engage in ongoing job development activities within UP to open up new return- to- work options for our disabled employees.
- Education and Training. Identify and deliver continuing professional education and training to internal staff maangers and network counselors. Develop and deliver training on an annual basis regarding DP& M policies and procedures to targeted audiences.
- Manage requests for accommodation. Implement interactive process with employees who request reasonable accommodation at UP Center and the Harriman Dispatch Center. Participate in Accommodations Committee meetings as needed. Provide expertise in the development and revision of the accommodation process.
Required Education, Training, Experience or Skills:
- Litigation Support. Serve as a fact witness regarding the Union Pacific vocational rehabilitation program in depositions and in trial settings on a system-wide basis.
- A Bachelor of Science degree or other Bachelor level degree.
- A post-graduate degree (MBA, JD, etc..) or higher in Rehabilitation Counseling, Diability Management or closely aligned field.
Preferred Education, Training, Experience or Skills:
- Certified Rehabilitation Counselor
- 2 year(s) experience / knowledge in continuous improvement philosophy and methods.
- 5 year(s) experience / knowledge in EEO including knowledge of employment law, ADA and reasonable accommodation process.
- 5 year(s) experience / knowledge of the following laws including ADA and RRB as they relate to Return to Work and reasonable accommodation processes.
- 5 year(s) experience / knowledge of the following legal areas including serving as a fact witness in depositions and trial settings.
- 5 year(s) experience / knowledge managing people
- 5 year(s) experience / knowledge in the following medical areas including medical terminology and communication skills with medical professionals.
- 5 year(s) experience / knowledge in workflow and process improvement
- 5 year(s) experience / knowledge of the Railroad industry demonstrating knowledge of railroad job titles, their essential functions, and various FRA certification standards.
- 1 year(s) experience / knowledge in training delivery and group facilitation.
- Advanced communication skills including both business writing and business presentations.
- Proficient computer skills with MS Office Suite including Excel, Word, Power Point, or Access.
- Proficient financial skills including knowledge of UP budget process and expense monitoring systems.
- Intermediate People Management skills
- Intermediate presentation skills including training group facilitation skills.
- Certified Disability Management Specialist
Union Pacific - 17 months ago
Union Pacific Corporation (UPC) is engaged in the transportation business. The Company’s operating company, Union Pacific Railroad...