The Polytechnic Institute of NYU (NYU-Poly) is seeking a dynamic, personable and experienced individual for the position of Director of Principal Gifts. Reporting to the Vice President of Development and Alumni Relations, the Director of Principal Gifts will be responsible for managing a portfolio of high-level prospects and for mapping out strategies for moving the prospects successfully through the gift cycle. As well, the Director will supervise the Major Gifts staff and the fundraising component of the Institute's yearly gala.
Located in beautiful downtown Brooklyn, NYU-Poly is the second-oldest engineering school in the United States. In the last 150 years, it has been the home to some of the most influential scientists, engineers and thinkers and is poised to be the leader in a number of incredibly important disciplines in the next century, including cybersecurity, wireless communications and urban science. From the administration to the faculty to the students, NYU-Poly is made up of caring and dedicated individuals, who are committed to the ideals of science.
Application Form Display:
The Director of Principal Gifts will:
- Work collegially and cooperatively with the Vice President of Development and Alumni Relations and Associate Vice President, the Director of Alumni Relations, the Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, the Director of Donor Relations and Information Systems, and the President to identify, cultivate, solicit and close outright and deferred gifts of $1 million and more in support of the Institute’s strategic priorities.
- Manage a portfolio of 200+ prospects, including both principal, major gift and deferred giving prospects with great potential and commitment to the Institute.
- Successfully solicit and close gifts and commitments from uniquely assigned prospects, as well as with prospects co-managed by the Vice President or another member of the Development team.
- Manage a process whereby individual engagement and solicitation plans for major and principal gift prospects are created, reviewed, assigned and executed for all assigned individual giving prospects.
- Oversee the fundraising portion of the Institute’s gala and work in close partnership with outside vendors and the internal special events staff to ensure the event meets the high standards of the Institute.
- Create and manage unique engagement opportunities and programs for major and principal gift prospects. Evaluate events’ success in reaching goals and objectives and determine future direction.
- With Vice President, seek to engage faculty in creative collaborations to further the goals of the Institute and of the prospect.
- Provide staff support to the Vice President and President in their cultivation and solicitation moves with principal gifts prospects and donors.
- Prepare supporting materials for use in the solicitations.
- Build working relationships and collaborate with department heads/directors, and other key personnel to achieve successful fundraising; nurture culture of philanthropic support.
- Represent the Institute at meetings, special events and other development-related activities to promote the Institute’s goals and future projects.
- Manage budget for area.
- Supervise a staff of 3 professionals.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree is required; an advanced degree is desirable.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of NYU-Poly and New York University.
- Minimum of 8-10 years' successful moves-based major gifts and principal gifts experience, including a proven track record in soliciting and closing six and seven-figure gifts.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communications skills.
- Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to produce high-quality work under deadline.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proven ability to work with highly confidential information, and the ability to interact regularly with a diverse set of constituents (board members, senior administrators, campus colleagues, alumni, parents, friends, etc).
- A willingness to travel significantly, and to work during evenings and weekends when required.
Polytechnic Institute of New York University - 22 months ago
Higher education is at the core of this Big Apple institution. The setting and heritage of New York University (NYU) make it one of the...