We are looking for a Grants Officer to join our dynamic and growing US support office based in Washington, DC.
Reporting to the Senior Development Officer, you will be a key member of the development team contributing to increasing the fundraising capacity within the US office and ensuring collaboration across the partnership in order to maximise the amount of income generated in support of our global mission.
In this role you will provide support and project management for MSI-US’s development objectives, in order to increase capacity and success in fundraising within the US based market. The Grants Officer will work to build US private foundation growth and grassroots fundraising, in order to contribute to the achievement of an ambitious and sustainable donor pyramid for optimal fundraising results. Key responsibilities include managing the coordination of grants, reports and proposals in collaboration with the global partnership, researching and responding to new business development opportunities, and supporting outreach efforts with grassroots donors.
In order to be successful in the role you will have:
In return for this commitment, you will be provided with career support, a supportive environment for personal and professional development as well as a competitive salary and benefits package.
- previous work experience in fundraising
- demonstrated experience working with foundations and grassroots donors
- must be a detail oriented, highly organised team player capable of working independently
- previous experience in family planning and reproductive health preferred
- experience with social media, website content development and/or blogging an asset.
Applications close Friday 15th March 2013.
Health Systems Department
- Grant Officer - US Office.pdf
(PDF , 58.76kb)
Grants Officer position available
The purpose of this role is to provide support and project management for MSI-US’s development objectives, in order to increase capacity and success in fundraising within the US based market. The Grants Officer will work to build US private foundation growth and grassroots fundraising, in order to contribute to the achievement of an ambitious and sustainable donor pyramid for optimal fundraising results. The individual will also be responsible for increasing fundraising capacity within the US office and ensuring collaboration across the MSI partnership in order to maximize the amount of income generated in support of MSI’s global mission.
Marie Stopes International (MSI) is a results oriented social enterprise. We develop efficient, effective and sustainable family planning and reproductive health programs in over 40 countries around the world. The MSI-US office is a 501c3 and established to leverage both technical and financial partnerships to increase MSI’s global impact.
The primary responsibility of this role is to further MSI’s goal: THE PREVENTION OF UNWANTED BIRTHS and its mission of ensuring the individual’s right to : CHILDREN BY CHOICE NOT CHANCE
It is a role requirement that the job holder must fully comply with and promote MSI CORE VALUES : mission driven, customer focused, results orientated, pioneering, sustainable, people centered
Resource Development Strategy Implementation for Results
Management of Communications to Increase Giving Results
- Contribute to the achievement of yearly fundraising goals (Key Performance Indicators) related to income generated from individuals and foundations
- Relationship management with current and new US based private foundations including delivery of high-quality reports, proposals, no cost extensions, budget reallocations and communications.
- Manage coordination of grants, proposals and reports in collaboration with country programmes and MSI’s International Programmes Department to ensure accurate and thorough review of budget and grant spending at regular intervals during the grant period.
- Research and respond to new business development opportunities to achieve the expansion of income from US based foundations.
- Support efforts for outreach to grassroots individual donors, by assisting in increasing outreach frequency, donor acquisition, and retention rates.
- Develop systems and maintain full responsibility for the management of donor reporting and communication with US foundations.
- Oversee management of donor database and paper files, ensuring all donor and contact information is captured, recorded and utilized to inform decisions and target communications.
- Support and manage online giving presence on MSI-US’ online giving page, on external giving sites, and on other online sites such as Guidestar; comply with site reporting requirements.
- Proactively build relationships with key stakeholders across MSI to facilitate cross-team collaboration and to effectively utilize all in-house resources.
- Support the development of a procedures manual that communicates systems and procedures related to fundraising, donor relationship management and communication within MSI-US and with other key departments at MSI-UK.
- Implement procedures related to the receipt of grants including Memoranda of Understanding, generation of codes, communication of grant receipt to country programs and MSI’s International Programmes Department.
Other Related Duties
- Maintain the MSI-US website’s fundraising page to ensure that it appeals to US based donor interests.
- Develop strategy for increasing MSI-US’s social media presence to increase funding results.
- Project manage annual appeals and other targeted fundraising appeals.
S kills and Experience:
- Support MSI-US sponsored events such as donor salons, conference participation, etc.
- Research and develop a strategy to engage a US celebrity spokesperson/advocate as time permits.
- Support and help manage donor database, including entry of data from donors, tracking of donor reporting and management of donor communication.
- Develop and implement strategy to communicate MSI’s goals and results through donor-advised funds to increase funding from these sources.
- Other duties as assigned.
Attitude / Motivation:
- 3-5 years of work experience in fundraising, preferably for international reproductive health related organizations.
- Demonstrated experience working with foundations and grassroots donors.
- Must be a detail oriented, highly organized team player capable of working independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Communications/marketing or public relations experience valued.
- Strong computer skills; knowledge and experience of donor databases preferred.
- Previous experience in family planning and reproductive health preferred.
- Experience with social media, website content development and/or blogging an asset.
- Eager to achieve ambitious fundraising results.
- Enthusiastic, positive, and determined.
- Excited to take on a leadership role and the ability to bring vision to action.
- Able to work on one’s own initiative.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Calm under pressure.
- Flexible and resourceful.
- Experienced and sound judgment.
- Proactive in asking questions, seeking new information and clarifying areas of question or uncertainty.
- Able to work in a culturally diverse environment.
- Strong interest in international family planning and reproductive health.
- Must be Pro-choice.
Please submit letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is Friday, March 15 th , 2013. No phone calls please!
For more information about MSI and MSI-US please visit our website to learn more about MSI-US:
About Marie Stopes International
Millions of the world's poorest and most vulnerable women trust Marie Stopes International to provide them with quality sexual and reproductive health care. We have been delivering contraception, safe abortion, and mother and baby care for over thirty years and work in 42 countries around the world.
Our clients are at the centre of everything we do: through our innovation and partnerships, underserved women and couples are able to access services and make choices about their sexual and reproductive health. By providing high quality services where they are needed the most, we prevent unnecessary deaths and make a sustainable impact on the lives of millions of people every year.
Marie Stopes International - 18 months ago