I. Purpose of Job
Under general supervision, contributes to plan reviews, researches information, assists with special projects, and performs related administrative tasks.
II. Essential Job Duties
A. Assist with Plans Examinations
B. Conducts Various Research or Other Special Projects as Assigned
- Assists in expediting plan review processes for the city with appropriate employees, design professionals, and property owners as it pertains to meeting prescribed deadlines.
- As directed, reviews development projects to ensure compliance with the City’s zoning ordinance, development standards, rules, and regulations; recommends rejection, approval or conditional approval of plans to supervisor.
- Assists in preparing narrative reports of plan reviews; prepares or assists in preparing related maps, graphics, or data tabulations as needed.
C. Planning Administrative Support
- Performs special projects as assigned by the Director of Planning and Sustainability, including researching and drafting proposals and ordinance amendments.
- Researches GIS data bases, tax rolls, plan files, ordinances, area demographic data, or other planning related files, information, etc. to compile facts and statistics.
- Prepares reports of findings for requesting party.
- May perform landscape inspections and review landscape plans.
III. Other Job Duties
- Tracks, inputs, and updates GIS data needed to prepare reports and maps.
- Catalogs accumulated zoning ordinances by subject matter (historic districts, design guidelines, etc.).
- Drafts legal descriptions for rezoning and annexation items.
- Assists with installation of land coding systems updates.
Performs other job duties as assigned.
IV. Primary Job Challenges
Primary challenges of this position include responding to multiple priorities.
V. Equipment Operated
General office equipment, Arcview Mapping; electronic plan review software
VI. Key Competencies Required
Has basic knowledge of the policies, procedures and activities of the City and planning practices as they pertain to the performance of duties relating to the position of Planning Assistant.Has basic knowledge of zoning ordinances, land use, and subdivision regulations, municipal and state codes as they pertain to this position.Should have some experience with plats and site plans.Must be able to type.Knows how to keep abreast of any changes in policy, methods, computer operations, equipment needs and policies, as they pertain to departmental operations and activities.Is able to effectively communicate and interact with supervisors, and all other groups involved in the activities of the department.Has basic knowledge of the terminology, principles, and methods utilized within the department.Is knowledgeable and proficient with computers and various types of software including database, GIS mapping, spreadsheet and word processing packages.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journal, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. In decision making, some choices are known while others may need to be identified. Some reliance on precedent. Ability to interpret a variety of complex instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Develops constructive and cooperative working relationships with others. Encourages others to express their ideas and opinions. Provides input into identifying and solving problems. Anticipates need of others for information about job tasks and work environment and provides it to them in a timely manner. Willingly assists others with job tasks when appropriate.
VII. Physical Demands and Work Environment
Physical Demands: Performance of the essential duties of this job requires the incumbent to:
Work Environment: Performance of the essential duties of this job requires:
- Frequently stand.
- Frequently walk.
- Frequently sit.
- Regularly use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Regularly reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly talk or hear.
- Occasionally lift up to 10 pounds.
- Occasional exposure to outdoor weather conditions
- The work environment is moderately noisy (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic).
Education and Experience: The required knowledge, skill, and abilities to satisfactorily perform job duties are normally acquired through attainment of a Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Business, Geography, Economics or related discipline and a minimum of six months to one year of planning related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Certifications/Licenses: None
Deadline to apply: 10/01/2013
7.30 per hour
City of Franklin, TN - 9 months ago