The Wichita Art Museum seeks a Curator of Education to join its staff in the largest metro in the state of Kansas with a premier American art collection. A senior position reporting to the museum director, the Curator of Education crafts and leads the interpretive program to provide and deepen resonant encounters with works of art for visitors. The Curator of Education develops, coordinates, implements, manages, and evaluates a broad range of interpretive strategies designed for the public to explore and understand the Wichita Art Museum’s collections and special exhibitions.
Examples of Work Performed:
The Curator of Education will work collaboratively with the Director, Chief Curator, and other leading staff members to craft engaging programs and gallery experiences for the general public. A creative sense of exploration and commitment to team work are key to the museum’s work environment, and the Curator of Education must be comfortable in an interactive, energetic workplace.
Requirements of Work:
• Designs and directs informative and experiential learning programs for children and adults
• Develops long-range plan for the education department and its initiatives
• Designs and directs the docent tour program, recruiting and training docent tour guides
• Gives training talks for docents and public lectures about museum collections and exhibitions
• Establishes and monitors education department budget
• Works collaboratively with senior staff and area colleagues to develop compelling programs
• Supervises fulltime Assistant Curator of Education as well as a corps of docents, interns, and volunteers
Knowledge of American art history
• Knowledge of studio art practices, learning theories, and visitor studies content
• Ability to research and compose interpretive content on the visual arts and evaluative material
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing
Ability to acquire and maintain a valid Kansas driver's license
An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace
Required Experience and Training:
Bachelor’s degree in education, fine arts, or related humanities degree is required, plus two years of teaching experience at secondary or college level or in museum education is preferred. Master's degree in art history and fundamental teaching experience also preferred. An equivalent combination of education, experience, and training may be considered. Offers of employment will be made contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which will include drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a police records check.
City of Wichita - 2 years ago