Aquilent is looking for a junior/mid system administrator whose is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure, definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions.
This individual is accountable for Linux systems that support GIS infrastructure including Percussion content management system and Terremark cloud; Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
Specific tasks may include:
• Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
• Install and upgrade new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with Federal standards and project/operational requirements.
• Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
• Contribute to and maintain system standards.
• Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage resources and provide economies of scale.
• Perform daily system monitoring and security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
• Perform daily backup operations, regular file archival and purge as necessary.
• Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
• Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
• Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
• Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
• Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
• Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
• Responsibilities may require working evenings/weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
• Five (5) years of experience in computer software of which four years system administration
• Experience with cloud computing, specifically Terremark and SA Engineering, Provisioning, Operations/Support, Maintenance tasks
• Apache, MySQL, Tomcat, plus an understand networking and backup and disaster recovery
• Thorough knowledge of how to apply Federal hardening guidelines/standards
• Strong problem solving skills
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Graphic Arts or other related subject area.
Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Microsoft preferred