Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
Full-time / Part-time
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Tier II - No Credit Check
Unique opportunity for an experienced Data Integrator Architect! The Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis is seeking an Architect to add to our Warehouse/BI group. The key area of focus is serving as a senior architect and integration lead for a multi-year program to deliver new and re-engineered payment systems using current technologies such as Oracle, PL/SQL and OBIEE. The person will join the FedACH Technology Transition Program team, with a focus on data integration for high-volume transactional applications. This role will provide architectural and design leadership across several cross-functional development teams, as well as work closely with other architects and project management. This role will provide integration vision and direction across a large platform of systems and services and will be designing solutions crossing multiple platforms and technologies.
While J2EE using SOA and event driven architecture is the core technology for the new payments engine, it will have many interfaces to components using other technologies. Data Warehouse and PL/SQL technologies are becoming an increasingly important part of the total product portfolio. This person must understand the advantages and disadvantages of using Java vs PL/SQL and how best to integrate all the technologies involved. Key responsibilities will be management of architectural/design dependencies, interim state system models, high-volume processing and enterprise level integration. Other key responsibilities will include ensuring the architectural vision is incorporated into the phased release plan, serving as an escalation point for technical and process issues and driving software development process excellence throughout the program.
The work environment may include a mix of agile and UP programming methodologies, collaborative work environment, and iterative development with a high level of team interaction. This position requires experience working in an agile environment, with a passion for continuous improvement, efficiency, and excellence. Candidates for this position must be very effective working with others—including other technical resources, the business, QA, and management. The ideal candidate will possess strong leadership, mentoring, organization, communication, and problem solving skills. He or she must also possess effective oral and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills. A history of meeting aggressive deadlines in uncertain environments and maintaining strong customer relationships are key selection criteria.
Required Skills and Experience
- Serve as a program integration lead across multiple work streams and projects, with emphasis on developing high performing, high-volume transaction processing code
- Translate architectural vision into the design and delivery of a functioning system
- Identify, document, and communicate key architectural decisions and trade-offs among design alternatives
- Assist in prioritizing when key architectural decisions need to be made to avoid delays for the teams.
- Make recommendations on best technology to use to meet the requirements.
- Develop interim state system models depicting key integrations and states as the project is iteratively delivered
- Design data access solutions, such as stored procedures and views, utilizing Oracle
- Ensure adherence to architectural and design standards
- Coordinate with other architects and tech leads
- Identify integration patterns
- Bring strong focus on performance, scalability, fault tolerance, security and other key non-functional requirements to the overall program
- Serve in a technical consulting role as needed across the entire program, challenge existing thinking and bring new practices and patterns into the project.
- Communicate complex technical topics to non-technical audiences
- Proactive communication with team members and management is essential as some key tasks may include issue identification and resolution, status updating, analyzing and reporting on alternative design solutions, etc.
- Perform research activities with a focus on complex business systems, automated systems development, enterprise information systems, and/or project enhancements with Bank and System-wide impact. Identify and analyze operational impacts of new projects, services, infrastructure, enterprise information systems, and automated systems. Address complex customer problems and/or issues as necessary.
- Provide input to the development and implementation of standards, procedures, and safeguards
- Provide data provisioning to support a dimensional model
BA/BS in computer science, software engineering or related field
MS in computer science, software engineering or related field preferred
Demonstrated architecture, design and application development working with complex projects crossing multiple platforms and diverse technologies to include several of the following:
8+ years of software development experience to include six years application development and testing experience in a distributed environment with diverse technologies to include several of the following:
- Experience in an architect or lead designer role on a large, enterprise-scale software program
- Experience coordinating other technical leads and teams to deliver an integrated solution
- Experience in leadership role on large, multi-year, platform replacement and infrastructure projects
- Experience handling and managing high volume, near real-time data integration (i.e. trickle feed)
- Experience with tuning high-volume applications for performance and instrumentation of code for tuning and monitoring
- Strong conflict resolution skills using a win/win approach
- Communicates proactively in a project environment with colleagues and management on a wide variety of project issues. Key skills include issue identification and resolution, status updating, and analyzing and reporting on alternative design solutions.
- Communicates effectively on complex technical matters to non-technical audiences, including the FRS business community. Communications could include presentations, training, documentation, memos, etc.
- Experience resolving complex system problems in a team setting, including evaluation of options to determine optimal solutions.
- data warehouse design, tools and methodologies
- transaction and reporting systems integration
- experience with projects involving conversion of large batch processes to PL/SQL
- Oracle PL/SQL
- web-based development experience
- leading teams of 5-10+ developers
- application development working with complex databases
- UNIX experience (Solaris and/or AIX)
- Experience with J2EE development frameworks (Spring/Hibernate/others)
- application servers (WebSphere preferred)
- Strong understanding of iterative, use case driven development
- Strong leadership, organization, communication (oral and written), and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet aggressive deadlines in uncertain environments.
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to work effectively in a team environment, and the ability to maintain strong customer relationships.
- Background in Test Driven Development and other agile methodologies
- Infrastructure experience to support environmental needs for the program, including - functional and performance testing
- Demonstrated skill in estimating and tracking progress of tasks, as well as in making recommendations for adjusting project plans as needed
- Experience with package selection and implementation
- Experience with Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) a plus
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis - 23 months ago
The Federal Reserve Bank of New York works within the Federal Reserve System and with other public and private sector institutions to foster...