Generally responsible for supervision and technical direction over a team of engineers and process engineering designers. Responsibilities will include total delivery of the process engineering deliverables and services on time, within budget and meeting quality expectations. Duties may include performing advanced engineering work serving as a technical specialist for complex engineering assignments. Work at this level requires extensive progressive experience in pulp and paper process engineering and involves utilization of project controls for cost, schedule and quality of projects. This work will be performed under minimal supervision.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
Primary responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Promoting the culture of working safely and applying safety related concepts into process design.
• Reviewing and approving all process deliverables.
• Validating professional service and construction estimates at the beginning of a project, and then tracking changes as the project progresses.
• Producing professional service estimates in accordance with the department standards for project deliverables, project studies and estimates, change notices and for the development of new work through proposal efforts.
• Establishing the design criteria, incorporating client requirements, estimate and/or scope basis and design basis meeting applicable state, local and federal standards and codes. Ensuring that any requirements for permitting have been established and communicated to the project team.
• Develops project engineering standards and specifications.
• Knowing your scope and deliverables. Initiating timely change notices when deviation is made from your scope, affecting schedule, deliverables or cost of the work.
• Planning and organizing the work of your team. Communicating the plan to your team, the project leadership team and the client.
• Maintaining control of the project by tracking and maintaining discipline performance budget progress, schedule commitments, and quality standards. Understanding and utilizing the project tools that are in place for project control.
• Delegating work to engineers and designers in proportion to their technical skills and experience, then following up for support to ensure efficient progress and quality.
• Consulting with design leaders from other disciplines in proportion to their technical skills and experience, then following up for support to ensure efficient progress and quality.
• Producing estimate level preliminary designs and material take-off suitable for the level of estimate being performed on a project.
• Developing conceptual layouts and cost studies as necessary to determine the simplest, most efficient approach to solving engineering tasks at hand.
• Familiarity with and utilizing industry design and engineering standards.
• Producing detail design calculations and sketches for materials of construction associated with the project. Calculations produced will be neatly prepared and organized for efficient checking by others and efficient use by drafters/designers for preparing drawings and as a deliverable when required.
• Producing project designs with efficient use of construction materials with an overall emphasis on ease of construction and completed product meeting the expectations of the client.
• Checking calculations, reports and studies made by other engineers to ensure accuracy, conformance to codes, specifications, design criteria and conformance to good engineering practice.
• Producing engineering and equipment specifications.
• Monitoring drawings in progress to ensure conformance to design calculations and specifications.
• Assisting the drafting group in resolving routine layout and detailing problems. Ensuring that sufficient sketches and details are provided for completion of engineering drawings.
• Reviewing and checking vendor drawings and other discipline drawings for chemical/process input.
• Producing bid packages enabling chemical/process purchase inquiries to be issued for procurement of materials or subcontract pricing.
• Participating in the planning of training programs, continuous education opportunities and professional development of staff.
• Participate in professional society meetings to make new business contacts and keep current with new developments in the industry.
• Participate in sales activities including pre-bid meetings, client presentations, scope review meetings, and proposal development.
• Travel as required for client presentations and project related tasks.
• Actively participates in the mentoring of less experienced process engineers.
• Responsible for reviewing resumes, conducting interviews, and completing interview evaluations for process engineering candidates.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering from an accredited university.
• Professional Engineering registration is highly preferred or may be required.
• Position requires 15 or more years of relevant industrial experience in pulp and paper engineering and project management.
• Familiarity with specifications and installation details of construction bulk materials and equipment.
• Ability to create accurate process documents from the information found on vendor equipment drawings.
• Ability to develop process specifications.
• Ability to accurately estimate completion of assigned tasks.
• Ability to develop a project cost estimate, a detailed engineering schedule and a man-hour budget for a small project or an area for a larger project.
• Develop design criteria and scope of work.
• Ability to develop Process and Instrument Diagrams (P&IDs).
• Experienced in estimating and scheduling professional service hours and assessing the progress and quality of process work.
• Complete understanding of the skills and experience required to perform engineering and design functions.
• Knowledge and application of company engineering design and CAD drafting standards.
• Knowledge of CAD software, either AutoCAD, Microstation or both.
• Working knowledge of project simulation software such as WinGEMS® and CADSIM.
• Ability to calculate pressure and flow for systems used throughout the Pulp and Paper Industry.
• Ability to lead teams to deliver on commitments.
• Ability to deliver convincing presentations of Hargrove Engineers + Constructors services.
• Proficient in the use of MS Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Ability to sit, stand or walk for long periods of time.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Hargrove Engineers + Constructors - 16 months ago
Since 1995, Hargrove Engineers + Constructors has served the needs of industry through its dedication to the client’s best interests....