Title: Senior Manager-Electronics Support Shop
Department: Maintenance of Equipment
Post Date: 01/11/2013
Close Date: 01/25/2013
Hay Point Evaluation: 789
2012 Salary Range: Minimum: $82,270/Midpoint: $102,837
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Location: Hillside Support Facility
Reports To: Deputy General Manager-Support Shops
This is a Non-Represented Position.
Please note that this position has been designated as a "Policy Maker," pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
Responsible for planning, leading and directing all Electronic Shop and all Support Shop Bench Test Equipment (BTE) functions, maintenance, service and support. This position is also responsible for the development of the annual production plan, which includes all labor and material requests. This will include build quantities for over 150 components including C3/DE/DM (C3/Diesel Electric/Dual Mode), MU (Multiple Unit) fleets, shop processes, procedures and compliance along with review of all materials as a Reliability Centered Maintenance requirement. This will include maintaining over 60 pieces of BTE equipment. This position is a key player with regard to shop layouts, shop processes, modifications and shop equipment. Develop guided fault isolation/troubleshooting techniques for Shop Technicians. Define maintenance requirements and procedures and produce specifications for the purpose of making equipment improvements. Determine replacements for components that are obsolete or deficient. Develop test procedures and perform testing to validate component change replacements. Direct responsibility of Support Shop Electronic/Electrical Engineers, General Foreman and subordinate represented employees. Interface internally with Support Shop Managers and Equipment Engineering Engineers in formulating plans and modifications and promote the Department's position in intra-company meetings on proposed modifications or analysis results.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Direct and coordinate the day-to-day activities of General Foreman, Gang Foreman, Electrical/Electronic personnel (Engineers & Electricians) and subordinate line supervision of various crafts in scheduling preventative maintenance programs to Rolling Stock Fleets.
- Evaluate, develop and implement quality maintenance procedures and programs to ensure the fleet is adequately maintained in a safe reliable manner for customers. Develop test and maintenance procedures.
- Direct and coordinate all activities involved with BTE (Bench Test Equipment) within the Electronic Shops. Utilize resources to effectively maintain, troubleshoot, repair, recommend upgrades/enhancements and develop OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) support per BTE System. Maintain BTE to UUT (Unit Under Test) compatibility including software upgrades as per Equipment Engineering requirements/direction.
- Perform reliability analyses on electronic systems. Perform research and development and design of new electronic systems and circuits
- Perform failure analysis of electrical systems and equipment. Review bench test procedures and methods used by our Electronics Shop and provide engineering support. Perform analyses and investigations on replacing electronic components that are no longer available or are to be used in a new design.
- Act as liaison between the M of E Support Shops, Plant Equipment Maintenance Department and Equipment Engineering.
- Select, develop and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Enforces discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review direct reports and approve performance appraisals. Promote safe work practices and provide safe working conditions. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example. Provide a safe, reliable fleet to LIRR customers.
- Perform other assignments as requested by Senior Management.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
- Bachelor's Degree in Electronic or Electrical Engineering. Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval.
- Must possess progressively responsible mechanical equipment related experience demonstrating responsibility for managing employees (represented and management) in a large, complex, unionized organization.
- Must possess technical knowledge of Electronic Support and computerized operations.
- Must possess prior management experience in preventative maintenance programs to a railroad fleet.
- Must possess understanding of maintenance procedures and related goals.
- Must possess knowledge of quality programs/techniques, life cycle maintenance, Reliability Centered Maintenance, union agreements, fleet capabilities and company policies.
- Must possess experience in the design and maintenance of analog/digital circuitry using semiconductor technology [TTL (transistor-transistor logic), CMOS (Complementary metal oxide semiconductor), LSI (large scale integration), MSI (medium scale integration)], including circuit board design with surface mount technology.
- Must possess experience with troubleshooting, repair, prototype creation and testing of circuit boards and electronic systems.
- Must possess experience in the establishment of maintenance procedures and technical evaluation of circuitry such as those found on car and locomotive systems.
- Must possess knowledge and skills obtained through proven track record of holding life cycle maintenance, Reliability Centered Maintenance, budgeting, production planning positions responsible for a manufacturing environment, including experience managing subordinate staff and budget responsibility.
- Must possess prior experience managing function/projects with budget management/development responsibility.
- Must possess strong administrative, planning, troubleshooting, scheduling and computer skills.
- Must possess strong, effective communication, interpersonal, presentation and organizational skills.
- Must possess effective management, leadership, problem-solving, decision-making, and judgment skills.
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e. physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go to https://portal.mtabsc.info/psp/PXPRD/EXTRANET/PAEXT/h/?tab=DEFAULT, sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to Job Listings (Internal).
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. As such, we encourage applicants from women and members of minority groups.
Metropolitan Transportation Authority - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard