The Specific Media Linux team operates a collection of over 3000+ Linux-based servers spread across 5 data centers nationwide. Among our responsibilities are content storage and delivery for images, mail, streaming video, and streaming music; ongoing infrastructure support; and support of other teams in the organization who operate Linux-based applications. Our environment is growing and storage capacity is exceeding into multiple petabytes at an astounding rate.
The position of the Linux System Administrator will work on a team be responsible for the deployment and maintenance of Linux systems in many clusters within the Myspace and Specific Media properties. The ideal candidate will possess a deep understanding of Linux and related technologies, and will be capable of working in a multiple-distribution environment.
If you are a self-starter, highly motivated, and take pride in what you do, then this is an excellent opportunity to test your mettle in one of the largest-scale Linux environments in the Los Angeles area. We are a top-notch team of hard working individuals who are dedicated to ensuring that the supported organizations have the tools needed to do the job, and we're looking for like-minded folk that enjoy what they do to join our team and contribute their expertise.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Troubleshoot and resolve difficult production issues in a timely fashion.
• Monitor Unix servers, systems, environments, and services
• Build and Configure systems and services
• Install in-house, opensource, and vendor based software
• Write scripts, programs, and routines to enhance the integrity of the environment
• Participate in off-hours on-call technical support rotation
• Works with other groups and departments to achieve end goals.
• Provide tier level support to System Administrators and various groups
• Drives results (outages, projects, break/fix, support issues)
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Experience with multiple Linux distributions (RedHat, CentOS, Scientific Linux).
• Configuration and maintenance of Nagios, Puppet, MySQL, Hadoop, Splunk, Redmine, Kickstart, LDAP/Active-Directory, SVN, GIT, Sendmail, Apache (2.x), NFS, CIFS, DHCP, NTP, SSH, IPTables, DNS/Bind, SNMP (net-snmp).
• Knowledge of common Linux technologies (PAM, proc filesystem, sysctl, etc.)
• Strong knowledge of Linux kernel configuration.
• Knowledge of load balancing technologies, version control, and configuration management.
• Experience with large-scale web server farms and content delivery networks (CDN).
• Experience with large-scale (multiple-TB) SAN and NAS environments.
• Proven ability to quickly learn and implement unfamiliar technologies.
• Proven ability to quickly isolate and troubleshoot issues under pressure in a production environment.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• 4+ years experience with Linux administration in a professional setting
• Previous experience in an Internet-related or other high-availability environment preferred.
• Strong programming: Perl, shells, Python, Ruby, Node.js, Java, Glassfish, Tomcat, JBoss, C, C++
Specific Media - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard