Whiting Role synopsis The Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for the safe and efficient execution of maintenance work. This position communicates and sets the daily team direction and ensures maintenance team has required skills and tools. Provides leadership to his/her crew through communication, coaching, training and collaboration. In conjunction with Planning, Scheduling, Maintenance Engineering, Reliability and Inspection, the Maintenance Supervisor plays a key role in ensuring optimal utilization of refinery maintenance resources to support process/unit/area mechanical availability. Resources include, but are not limited to, refinery craftsmen, contractor personnel, and all required material/tools/equipment in support of daily maintenance activities. Efficient execution of work with minimal rework is a primary goal. Another important part of this role is providing a proactive maintenance focus. Key accountabilities - Responsible for health, safety and environmental performance to achieve our goals of no accidents, no harm to people, and no harm to the environment
The BP Whiting Refinery is located on the south-western shore of Lake Michigan and the Indiana Harbor Ship Canal in the communities of Whiting, East Chicago and Hammond, Indiana. Whiting Refinery is the second largest refinery in the BP refining system, and the 6th largest refinery in the United States. Operations began in 1889, prior to the advent of the automobile.
- Accountable to ensure compliance with HSSE polices and Mechanical Integrity requirements. Coordinate, participate and comply with all refinery HSSE programs
- Responsible for job preparation activities, including assignment of craftsmen to jobs, reviewing scope of work, identifying and communicating changes to plan, verifying availability of materials and tools, and confirming schedule viability
- Accountable for direct team’s well being and performance (directs, appraises, counsels, and develops/coaches employees) for an average 10 person crew
- Assure cost effective and expeditious completion of maintenance work with Area Maintenance Planning and Scheduling Supervisor, Area Tank/Project Planner, Maintenance Superintendent, and Contractor Job Representative to meet unit budget
- Provide input to Complex Operations Specialist and Area Maintenance Superintendent for feasibility of 4-week maintenance schedule
- Prioritize/coordinate maintenance activities with Complex Operations Specialist
- Work with Area Maintenance Superintendent, Area Operations Superintendent, Complex Operations Specialist, Area Tank/Project Planner and Area Maintenance Planning and Scheduling Supervisor to build and enhance teamwork and ensure maintenance compliance activities are accomplished in a timely manner
- Cooperatively work with Resource Craft Team Leaders and peers to optimize the use of craftsmen both within the area and across the site
- Assist Area Tank/Project Planner in defining scope of work, generating material lists, developing estimates and reviewing bids
- Perform other duties as assigned Essential Education - High school diploma or equivalent required Essential experience and job requirements - Minimum of 5 years experience within a refinery, petrochemical, or industrial plant Desirable criteria & qualifications - Thorough understanding of company HSSE policies and the ability to ensure compliance with them
- Ability to handle difficult issues, and with an understanding of the broader implications, develop a plan and communicate to a team
- Experience creating a work environment that is conducive to employee development
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to share discipline expertise and best practices with team members Relocation available Yes - Domestic (In country) only Travel required Yes - up to 25% Is this a part time position? No About BP Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future
Today, BP is investing several billion dollars in Northwest Indiana to modernize its Whiting Refinery for the processing of heavier crudes. The modernization is essential to the long-term viability of the refinery, and includes well over a billion dollars in environmental improvements. BP Whiting Refinery employs thousands of full-time employees and contractors. The Whiting Refinery Modernization Project is employing thousands of additional contractors. The modernization project will provide for greater energy security in the Midwest, as conventional supplies of the lighter crudes diminish, and are replaced by heavier crudes.
As we progress with the project, the health, safety and security of our employees, and of those who come into contact with our operations and products, remains our highest priority. Our policy is that no job is worth doing, unless it is done safely, while protecting our shared natural environment. Disclaimer If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. BP is an equal opportunity employer. Segment Refining & Marketing Removal Date 14-Mar-2013
BP - 17 months ago
BP p.l.c. (BP) is an oil company, operating through its subsidiaries. With effect from January 1, 2008, it operated in two business...