Location: San Francisco, CA
Job Posting Title: College Sales Representative
Classification: Full-Time – Exempt
Job Function: Sales
Intellectual engagement. Independence. Variety. All in a collegial community of lively, humane people who share a common goal of publishing and promoting distinctive educational materials. Join the W. W. Norton sales team and begin a rewarding career in college publishing.
The Job : In this position, representatives are intellectually engaged in a wide range of disciplines—from anthropology and English to music and biology. Because representatives visit different campuses and departments almost every day, there’s a great deal of variety. While reps may meet one-on-one with faculty on some days, on other days they’re hosting presentations, lunches, workshops, or book fairs. Publishing reps at W. W. Norton are constantly learning something new and regularly challenged to put that knowledge to the test.
Essential Job Responsibilities :
- Develop and maintain relationships with academic faculty to assess individual and departmental needs
- Promote Norton’s college titles to current and prospective book adopters
- Promote digital media and resources that work in conjunction with our books
- Report on and track sales opportunities within a territory
- Win book adoptions and provide exemplary support and service to adopters
- Grow territory revenue
- Travel to campuses within a territory daily for visits, presentations, and book fairs
- Work with college bookstores to ensure book sell-through and fulfillment
- Participate in sales meetings and training to enhance book and digital media knowledge
- Collaborate with manager and discipline specialists on and off campus to provide solutions for faculty
Since an essential aspect of this position is devising distinctive strategies for securing business within a variety of disciplines and contexts, representatives become proficient problem solvers. Hosting presentations, book fairs, and lunches hones public speaking, communication, and event planning skills. Being a W. W. Norton representative will sharpen analytical skills and strengthen the ability to prioritize. Reps become increasingly outgoing and confident.
Norton offers :An excellent compensation and benefits package including:
- Competitive salary
- Bonus opportunity
- Healthcare coverage
- Company car for outside sales representatives
- Company iPad, iPhone, and laptop
- Opportunities for growth within the company
Individuals wishing to apply for this position should be self-motivated, enthusiastic, adept at time management, independent, and persuasive. Successful representatives love discussing their favorite books and enjoy continually learning. Candidates should have a wide range of interests and be able to engage in thoughtful conversations about any number of topics in the liberal arts and sciences. BA/BS degree required with a minimum GPA of 3.2. The ability to travel overnight is essential for some territories.
Qualified candidates should apply by sending a copy of their resume and cover letter to : firstname.lastname@example.org . PLEASE BE SURE TO INDICATE THE TERRITORY YOU ARE APPLYING FOR IN THE SUBJECT LINE. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
About the Company:
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry”. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com .
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
Please note: this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
Monster - 14 months ago