Under general direction, assists in projects and activities related to services provided by the medical center laboratory.
Performs all duties of a clinical laboratory scientist; provides functional oversight (plan, organize and delineate duties) of personnel in Microbiology section of the laboratory.
Individual utilizes educational background and experience in technical methodology and theory to oversee the performance, interpretation and reporting results of test analysis. The Section Head acts as Technical expert and is responsible for the technical and scientific oversight of the Microbiology Section.
- Plans, organizes and performs daily clinical laboratory procedures, including immunology, microbiology and phlebotomy.
- Is responsible for providing day-to-day functional oversight of high complexity test performance by testing personnel.
- Maintains and updates laboratory microbiology policies and procedure manuals and communicate policy to other laboratory personnel.
- Maintains functionality of departmental equipment and maintains inventories of reagents; assumes responsibilities for the maintenance of supplies, reagents and equipment.
- Stays abreast of and executes the latest technical and management developments including new lab procedures.
- Serves on appropriate teams and committees. Actively participates in quality improvement activities. Performs quality assurance, including selection of method and evaluation of results; calculates and evaluates comparison data.
- Assists with preparing operational and capital budget yearly; confers with salespersons to acquire data and prices for input to laboratory purchasing decisions.
- Provides technical assistance to and coordinates the duties of other laboratory personnel, such as MT, MLT, to maximize staffing for smooth, efficient operation of the area.
- Recommends disciplinary action and input to performance evaluations; coordinates the orientation and training of new personnel.
- Identifies the training needs and assures that each individual performing tests receives training and education appropriate for the type and complexity of the laboratory services performed.
- Evaluates the competency of all testing personnel and assures that the staff maintain their competency to perform test procedures and report test results.
- Evaluates the competency of all testing personnel to properly setup, calibrate, maintain, operate and shutdown such instruments that are vital to their position.
- Oversees verification of the test procedures performed and establishment of the laboratory's test performance characteristics, including the precision and accuracy of each test and test system.
- Responsible for the enrollment and participation in an HHS approved proficiency testing program commensurate with the services offered.
- Assures department proficiency surveys are performed appropriately and submitted on time.
- Responsible for establishing a quality control program appropriate for the testing performed.
- Assures that all remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.
- Monitors employee compliance with approved Federal/State and Agency regulations.
- Confers with laboratory pathologist concerning laboratory problems and procedures
- Reports results of studies and exams and notifies appropriate health care personnel of results. Works with physicians and employees in other departments to resolve problems.
- Serves as a resource person to physicians and other health care providers concerning interpretation of laboratory results.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service to all customers both internal and external.
- Communicates infectious disease and mandatory reporting to State University Hygenic Lab.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
- Bachelors Degree and successful completion of Clinical Laboratory Science Program AND 4 years training or experience in the high complexity testing specialties performed, OR,
- Successful completion of Clinical Laboratory Science Program AND Masters Degree in lab science AND 2 years training or experience in the high complexity testing specialties performed,
- Ability to demonstrate clinical competence and maintain current knowledge in caring for neonatal through geriatric patients.
- Specialist in Microbiology Certification
- Ability to interpret results in light of current patient status; recognizes and analyzes problems and comes to a logical and timely solution to ensure accurate patient reports. Skilled in performing automated and manual test procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Previous experience with an electronic health record.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and skills shown by successfully leading teams/groups in projects, work assignments, policy updates, etc.
Mary Greeley Medical Center - 2 years ago