Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home of three Nobel laureates, is an independent, nonprofit research institution dedicated to the development and advancement of biomedical research to eliminate cancer and other potentially fatal diseases. Recognized internationally for its pioneering work in bone-marrow transplantation, the Center’s five scientific divisions collaborate to form a unique environment for conducting basic and applied science. The Hutchinson Center, in collaboration with its clinical and research partners, the University of Washington and Seattle Children’s, is the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in the Pacific Northwest. Join us and make a difference!
About the Department:
The Statistical Center for HIV/AIDS Research & Prevention (SCHARP) is part of the program of Population Sciences within the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division (VIDD) of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, Washington. SCHARP provides statistical collaboration to infectious disease researchers around the world and conducts a complementary program of statistical methodology, and mathematical modeling research. SCHARP also collects, manages, and analyzes data from clinical trials and epidemiological studies dedicated to the elimination of infectious disease as a threat to human health.
Responsible for Linux and Windows systems administration in a mixed network with an emphasis on Linux. Activities include: system management, software installation/configuration, network security, upgrades, systems related scripting/programming, and infrastructure planning.
Scope of Responsibilities:
Work in a team of system administrators in a heterogeneous environment of Linux and Windows computers to support SCHARP computer requirements.
1. Installation and maintenance of Linux/Unix and Windows servers and desktops
2. Installation and maintenance of services
3. Programming (Perl, borne shell, python)
4. Second and third tier user support (complex cross-application support)
5. PostgreSQL interaction
- 1-3 years Linux/Unix professional system administration
- Experience working as part of a team of system administrators with overlapping responsibilities
- Ability to communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work proactively and independently
- 1-2 years of scripting (perl | bash | python | etc)
- Basic database interaction (postresql | mysql)
- BIND / DNS
- Basic networking
- Basic email routing (sendmail | postfix | exim)
- System monitoring / trending
- VMware administration
- SAS installation & maintenance
- Advanced networking
- Apple administration
- Gnome desktop configuration
How to Apply:
Please refer to position number SC-24934, apply online at http://fhcrc.org/about/jobs/index.html AND include a letter summarizing previous work experience and research interests, a complete resume or CV, and contact information for three professional references.