SUMMARY: Cares for and treats patients in medical office, as directed by Physician, by performing the following duties. Interviews patient to determine medical problem/condition and documents in chart.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide exceptional service and/or care to all patients, customers and team members.
• Explains procedures and treatments to patient to gain cooperation, understanding, and reduce apprehension.
• Accurately and promptly implements physician’s orders.
• Maintains the standards of accurate and complete recording and reporting.
• Prepares equipment and aids Physician during treatment and examination of patient.
• Maintains awareness of comfort and safety needs of patient.
• Takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure, and other vital signs to detect deviations from normal and assess condition of patient.
• Responds to life saving situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures, and protocol.
• Documents nursing history and physical assessment for assigned patients.
• Resourceful and calm in emergencies.
• Participates in in-service training for personnel.
• Prepares rooms, equipment, and supplies
• Participates in department or unit quality improvement activities.
• Supports and enforces infection-control policies and procedures.
• Interviews patient to determine medical problem/condition and documents in chart.
• Obtains and records patient's vital signs and weight.
• Assists physician with patient examination as needed.
• Reviews physician's orders, lab requests, prescription requests or follow-up needs with patient.
• Documents services performed in the EMR
• Provides nursing care as directed including but not limited to obtaining blood specimens, dressing wounds, performing ancillary testing, starting IV's, and other requested nursing duties.
• Observes patients and reports adverse reactions to medication or treatment to medical personnel in charge.
• Administers specified medication, orally or by subcutaneous or intramuscular injection, in accordance with approved nursing techniques and documents appropriately in patients' charts.
• Assures supplies are ordered and readily available. Assures that expired or damaged products are disposed of according to policy.
• Responds to patient telephone inquiries by evaluating and responding to the patient's problems and questions.
• Follows up with patients who miss appointments.
• Follows up with patients on lab results, including the scheduling of any additional tests.
• Utilizes clinical training and experience, within scope of practice, to address patient needs in the immediate absence of provider.
• Perform other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
• Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school
License(s), Certification(s), Registration(s), Accreditation(s)
• Registered Nurse’s license in the state of Missouri
• BLS certificate
• ACLS certificate required (depending on position)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate effectively.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or schedule form
• Ability to write reports
• Ability to learn and adapt
• Ability to direct others
• Knowledge of copier, fax, IDX, EMR, AS400 and Word Processing software.
• Skill in operation of tools, equipment, and materials listed below.
• Prompt and regular attendance according to policy
• Comply with dress code and appearance standards.
• Interact with patients, customers, the general public, management, and team members in a professional, courteous, and tactful manner.
• Work with integrity, uphold Skaggs’ mission, values, and maintain confidentiality in all situations.
• Follow safety & security policies & procedures, immediately report suspicious activities and unsafe conditions. Use equipment, tools & materials properly.
• Participate in all mandatory job training and meetings as directed which may include overnight travel and extended stays as applicable.
• Adhere to requirements, policies and procedures outlined in the Employee Handbook and/or other Hospital/Clinic practices.
• Maintains satisfactory relations with administrative staff.
• Maintains acceptable standards of patient care.
• General Office Equipment
• Diagnostic testing equipment
• Various types of medical instruments and equipment
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move 30 pounds, frequently lift and/or move more than 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• The employee may be exposed to blood-borne pathogens, body fluids, contagious diseases, blood, and biohazard materials, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of radiation.
Cox Medical Center Branson - 2 years ago