Department of Finance |
The City of Norfolk's Department of Finance is seeking to hire a professional Accounting Manager.
The Accounting Manager will supervise and oversee all aspects of the City's audit and will compile and prepare information for the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and other internal reports, financial reports and external reports. This position reports to the City Controller/ Assistant Director of Finance.
Essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides guidance and recommendations regarding accounting functions, managing external audits, external financial reports, schedules, internal financial reports and ensures external audits are in compliance.
- Monitors, implements and makes recommendations for the improvement of internal controls, processes, policies and procedures.
- Manages and oversees the external audit process, reviews and prepares work papers and schedules for the City Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR); produces and distributes the CAFR and all external financial reports; and prepares monthly Council statements and other internal financial reports.
- Implements, monitors and provides recommendations on new financial accounting and reporting standards. Assesses the impact of new standards on financial accounting operations and reporting, ensuring that all applicable City personnel receive training and guidance.
- Coordinates and plans new strategic team objectives, projects, enhanced services and related resource needs; aligns team structure to meet customer needs and prepares a strategic planning document to support the annual budget process for the Bureau.
- Assists the City Controller with defining resource needs, changes or improvements and providing report results on a monthly basis.
- S upervises staff and develops individual performance objectives, reviews work products, provides feedback on performance and ensures team members receive proper training.
- Leads financial reporting staff and serves as technical adviser to accountants and financial staff throughout City departments .
Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting or business management or the equivalent and three years of experience in accounting supervision and computer software application. Certified Public Accountant preferred.
Additional Information & Requirements:
Must possess a valid driver’s license. Must successfully pass background check and drug screening.