Lay out and prepare work orders for the construction, maintenance, and replacement of all types of outside plant and work related thereto. Basic understanding of pair gain devices. Be able to write a MOP (method of procedure) as it relates the installation of those pair gain devices. Have a basic understanding as it relates to engineering and installation of DSL equipment. Under general supervision, assists in the preparation of the capital budget for their areas of responsibility.
· Knowledge of aerial, buried and underground cable as well as their construction technique and construction practices, both copper and fiber optic cable.
· Knowledge of conduit and manhole systems as well as their construction technique and construction practices.
· Proficient in the creation and utilization of schematics and fill boxes associated with copper cable deployment.
· Be proficient in the CAD drawing of staking sheets, maps and other items associated with the creation of a work order package (AutoCAD Telemap desirable).
· Have an in depth understanding of DSA (Digital Serving Area) with the ability to create, change or modify the DSA to include electronics and hardware requirements.
· Be able to take project from planning, designing and staking through construction and closeout.
· An understanding of budgeting and the ability to work within the budget guidelines.
· Work with governmental agencies and be comfortable working with the general public, outside contractors, etc.
· Familiarity and understanding of R/W (Right of Way), easements, property boundaries and the ability to research these easements and boundaries as they apply to cable and facilities placement. Also be able to read and interpret highway reconstruction plans.
· A working understanding of the MARTENS record system.
· Be able to work with minimal supervision, be a self-starter and be able to prioritize workload.
· Have a thorough understanding of RUS units and their application in regards to telephone facilities placement.
· Applies advanced engineering and network principles, theories, concepts and technologies to solve unusually complex problems and issues.
· All other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field or the equivalent in training and experience.
· Minimum three (3) years telecommunication, engineering or network planning or the equivalent in training and experience.
· Working knowledge of network topologies spanning the switching, access, and transport portions of the network.
· Working knowledge of next-generation digital loop carrier systems.
· In-depth knowledge of ISP/OSP equipment and designs.
· Prepare written and oral reports on new services, technologies, and industry issues.
· Proficient in work processing, spreadsheets, and database using the computer.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Additional hours may be required.
· Valid driver's license, with a satisfactory driving record.
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
CenturyLink - 24 months ago
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...