Linux Administrator, 2nd Shift - 19143
This details all the information about the job posting. To submit your resume, click on the 'Submit your Resume to this Job' button.
Job Title Linux Administrator, 2nd Shift
Category Information Technology
Location US-TX-San Antonio-CSTL San Antonio, TX 78218, US
Education Bachelor's Degree
Job Type Full-time
Travel Required 0
Linux System Administrator
When you buy a new computer, do you immediately erase Windows and install your favorite distro of Linux? If so, keep reading...
As a Linux System Administrator, you are a Linux junkie who conquers the most intense challenges of providing unique solutions for our customers. We want you because your talent, hard work and dedication will continue to drive us to the next level. You’ll solve issues by utilizing your own creative techniques to ensure Fanatical® troubleshooting and advice, which also means you’ll be a key partner in building relationships with customers as you update them of each step along the way. We don’t want you to just think outside of the box; we want you to break it.
This opening is for 2nd shift in our San Antonio office.
In a typical day, you will:
Provide Fanatical Support® in all interactions
- Work with bleeding-edge technology in the cloud computing space
- Install, configure, update and troubleshoot services for customers such as OS level concerns, web server, database server, applications server, SMTP; includes Apache, MySQL, FTP, SSH and DNS
- Teach customers “how to fish” while advising on technical issues
- Collaborate with fellow system administrators and support team members
Rockstar (Preferred) Qualifications:
- Thorough knowledge and love of Linux operating system. As a true Linux lover knows—Fatal Error: Found MS-Windows System - > Repartitioning Disk for Linux
- Fundamental knowledge of servers/computers hardware and software
- Inherent problem-solver with desire to learn and take on responsibilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate technical issues to nontechnical and technical audiences
Why Here? Why Now?—About Rackspace Hosting
- Technical certifications including Red Hat, UCP, CompTIA and/or MySQL to build excellent knowledge of clustering, My SQL, network fundamentals, DNS and Shell scripting
- Experience working in the cloud computing industry
- Bachelors degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent work experience
Rackspace® Hosting(NYSE: RAX) is the open cloud company, delivering open technologies and powering more than 197,000 customers worldwide. Rackspace provides its renowned Fanatical Support® across a broad portfolio of IT products, including Public Cloud, Private Cloud, Hybrid Hosting and Dedicated Hosting. Rackspace has been recognized by Bloomberg BusinessWeek as a Top 100 Performing Technology Company, is featured on Fortune’s list of 100 Best Companies to Work For and is included on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Rackspace was positioned in the Leaders Quadrant by Gartner Inc. in the “2011 Magic Quadrant for Managed Hosting.” Rackspace is headquartered in San Antonio with offices and data centers around the world.
For the 4,500+ current Rackers, however, we are much more than a hosting company. Rackspace offers a vibrant company culture filled with compelling work, a supportive team environment and a lot of fun. We are as Fanatical® about serving our clients and one another as we are about building the future of technology.
We compete in the same space as Amazon, Microsoft and Google because the work that Rackers do allows us to lead the race for innovation and quality. Rackers’ opinions, ideas and creativity are pushed to the limit because pushing beyond the boundaries of today’s hosting standards is the only way to be number one. The pressure is on—Are you ready?
But, don’t take it from us—Rackspace’s awards and recognitions include:
Learn more at our website.
- Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For 2013, 2012, 2011, 2009, 2008
- Glassdoor Employee’s Choice – 50 Best Places to Work 2013, 2012, 2010
- Forbes Top 25 Fastest-Growing Tech Companies 2012, 2011
- Forbes Top 100 Best Small Companies 2010, 2009
- Computer World Best Places to Work in IT 2010
- Business Insider 25 Best Tech Companies to Work For 2011
- Bloomberg Business Week Top 100 Performing Technology Company 2010
- InformationWeek Top Technology Innovators Across America 2010
- Info-Tech Champion in Cloud Infrastructure 2010
Many out-of-state candidates ask about life in Texas. First off, people don’t say “y’all” all the time, though it is pretty fun to say. Texas Pride is real but not in a pretentious way, and football is taken seriously—very seriously! The steaks are amazing, and if you like Mexican food, you’ll be in heaven. Yes, you can drive for hours and still be in the same state, but Texas provides a variety of landscape between the northern and southern parts of the state; in Texas, you really can have it all.
Businesses and the economy in San Antonio are continuing to grow, and the overall mood is optimistic and ambitious. If that weren’t enough, the cost of living is very reasonable and well below the national average. San Antonio is home of the River Walk and The Alamo, but towns in the Hill Country like Boerne, Fredericksburg and New Braunfels provide vineyards, history, great shopping and beautiful countryside. Though the most recent Census shows that San Antonio is now the seventh largest city in the US by population, most people here will be quick to tell others that it still feels like a small town due to the geographic size of the city. People can get everything they need within a few miles of home, but they can also head downtown for some big city action.
As employees of Rackspace, we are not simply numbers; we are proud Rackers. With that title comes a responsibility that we all feel. It’s a responsibility to embody and live the values that make our organization unique and extraordinary. It’s also a natural responsibility because the values we embrace were created by us. Learn more about our culture on our talent page which features blogs and general information put together by Rackers across the company.
Rackspace Hosting is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetic information in our candidate selection process.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.
Type of Job(-US Only) 0
Rackspace Hosting is fanatically focused on hosting services, but also has its head in the clouds. The company provides a range of Web...