Manage a team of benefit professionals responsible for the calculation and payment of pension benefits for clients who outsource pension administration to Milliman. This position will be responsible for monitoring administrative processes and procedures to ensure accuracy, timeliness and measurable performance of ongoing administration, and to ensure that contractual obligations under the service agreements are met. Additionally, for the development and training of all PAS staff. This position will interact with their team and with other Milliman teams (possibly across office locations) with a heavy amount of interaction with the clients. A small amount of travel can be anticipated.
Works under general supervision of the Manager of Pension Administration Services exercising a great deal of initiative and independent judgment in the performance of any task assigned by the Manager or the Director of Pension Administration Services.
Milliman’s management has a history of rewarding performance and views this position as a vital piece of its ongoing strategy to solidify and grow long-term client relationships. This position offers the opportunity to operate as a business manager along with high visibility and unlimited career potential.
Experience and skills
- Manage team resources and priorities to supervise workload, escalating issues as necessary
- Assess training needs and provide training
- Monitor progress of daily tasks
- Build teamwork and maintain positive team morale
- Coordinate time off requests
- Take an active role in team’s pursuing continued education
- Complete performance evaluations
- Process and review manual calculations and ensure accuracy of system-generated calculations
- Supervise the administration of pensioner payments
- Ensure final work products are of high quality and provided in a timely fashion
- Review, maintain and improve administrative procedures, defining best practices
- Identify, analyze and assist in executing process improvements
- Ensure service level commitments are maintained by the team
- Assist with creating system development requirements for current and future client needs
- Interface with plan sponsor representatives concerning ongoing administration services
- Assist the Milliman marketing group with the RFP process
- Maintain effective relationships with client contacts and internal managers
- Assist with system testing for plan modifications and new plan implementations
- Coordinate with implementation team to achieve successful plan conversions
- Bachelors degree in mathematics, statistics or any other analytical field
- 6+ years of defined benefit plan administration experience with 2+ years of Managerial experience (consulting environment strongly preferred)
- Qualified Pension Administrator (QPA) designation from the American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries (ASPA)
- Understanding of regulatory aspects of defined benefit plan administration, such as 415 benefits limits, 401(a)(17) limits, minimum required distributions, nonqualified plans and other defined benefit regulatory issues involving ERISA and IRS Revenue Rulings
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills, with an emphasis on the details
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to track multiple tasks and issues, set goals and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on customer service
- Ability to solve problems efficiently while being innovative and creative
- Exposure to pension actuarial valuation experience and defined benefit administration system experience
- Actuarial knowledge
- Strong project management skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office suite (Word and Excel)
- Experience with Microsoft Access and/or SQL Enterprise Manager a plus
- Willingness to work overtime
- Effective time management
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong problem solver
- Able to effectively multi-task
- Able to work with time-sensitive material and meet multiple deadlines
- Effective prioritization skills
- Good organizational skills
- Able to work independently while also contributing to team environment
Must demonstrate Milliman’s core values which include:
- Integrity - Must be honest, fair, active listener, open communicator and accountable.
- Teamwork - Work cooperatively and treat clients and coworkers with respect and dignity while valuing individual differences, encouraging new ideas and sharing information.
- Commitment to excellence - Demonstrate commitment to being creative, innovative, flexible and adaptable, focusing on quality solutions, continually improving and being a winner.
- Type “A” personality - High energy with effective poise and presence, self-motivated and relentlessly striving towards goals.
A competitive base salary, plus a performance-based incentives bonus tied to the overall business performance. The firm offers an outstanding and comprehensive benefits package.
Milliman employs more than 2,000 people working in employee benefits, healthcare, life insurance/financial services, and property and casualty insurance. For more than 60 years, the firm has quietly earned a reputation for exceptional services, innovation and quality. Today Milliman is one of the nation’s most highly regarded providers of retirement plan services to the full spectrum of business, financial, government and union organizations.
Milliman is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports both ethnic and gender diversity. All employment decisions are based strictly upon qualifications of the individual as related to the work requirements of the position. This policy is applied without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status or sexual orientation.
Milliman - 2 years ago
Milliman's consultants aren't exactly thrill-seekers, but they do know a lot about risk. The actuarial and business consulting...