Play a leadership role on health economics and financing issues that lead to improved equity, access, coverage, resource allocation and quality of health services through policy dialogue informed by sound evidence, systematic learning and capacity building, and provide technical expertise and training for MSH programs and projects in all areas of health finance, especially the financial and economic aspects of the design of health policies and interventions and the analysis of related financial and economic impact.
Assist with the development and expansion of MSH’s portfolio of health economics and financing activities within MSH’s projects and by seeking and winning new health economics and financing projects. Increase worldwide knowledge and understanding of MSH’s health economics and financing work through dissemination of evidence-based work, publications in journals and presentations to USAID, development partners and at conferences.
Assist MSH to identify other project opportunities with a health economics and financing element and participate in developing the health economics and financing elements of those proposals.
Provide technical leadership, training and technical assistance for MSH’s projects in health financing and economics.
Undertake health economics and financing assessments, design, implementation, and evaluation of health economics and financing policies using various tools including modeling, costing, cost-effectiveness analysis, efficiency assessments, and value-for-money and impact evaluation.
Direct and manage effective analytic and normative policy work as well as support for implementation and technical support to the health economics and financing areas of MSH projects.
Lead the development of MSH strategic planning and management in health economics and financing.
Work closely with MSH project and technical area leaders to develop and implement finance and economic components into existing and future health projects.
Assist with the development of proposals specific to health financing and economics and include health financing elements to other proposals.
Develop and conduct areas of operational research on health finance and economic topics through MSH projects.
Develop and publish peer-reviewed articles.
Represent MSH in making presentations to USAID, development partners and international meetings.
Develop and maintain strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, partners, and collaborators in the international health economics and financing.
Keep abreast of international developments, trends and country experience in health economics and financing in order to provide authoritative advice and guidance to MSH senior management, government ministries and MSH projects.
Work closely with MSH staff involved in health system strengthening and other health activities to support those activities and ensure the integration of health economics and financing in MSH field work.
- Advanced graduate degree in health economics, public policy or health policy or equivalent, PhD preferred.
- Significant and successful experience in providing technical assistance in the development, design, implementation, and evaluation of health economics and financing policies and programs in at the country level.
- Internationally recognized expertise and experience in the assessment, design, implementation, and evaluation of health economics and financing policies using various tools including modeling, costing, cost-effectiveness analysis, efficiency assessments, and value-for-money and impact evaluation.
- Experience and skills in financial and economic modeling and analysis of health programs.
- Demonstrated success in leading, managing and coordinating analytical assessment and technical assistance teams.
- Publications in established peer-viewed journals and presentations at international conferences.
- Extensive experience in providing capacity-building training in developing countries.
- Good interpersonal and relationship-building competencies in both developed and developing country settings coupled with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good understanding and experience of working in developing countries.
- Energetic, forward thinking, creative person with intellectual depth and high ethical standards.
- Fluency in English required, working professional knowledge of French language preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 40 percent internationally and domestically.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.