Performs a variety of skilled and semiskilled activities as part of a crew to construct, maintain, and repair the City's gas services. Position requires stand-by duties to respond to emergency needs involving long hours in extreme weather conditions. Works outside or within customer residences and/or businesses; exposure to natural gas and carbon monoxide fumes, fire and explosive hazards; ability to work in atmospheres meeting OSHA requirements containing natural gas, carbon monoxide, fumes from welding steel and poly, fumes from burning plastic and petroleum coatings. Heavy physical work involving bending, kneeling, stooping, bending, climbing in and out of trenches up to four feet deep; climbing up to a height of ten feet; lifting and carrying items weighing up to 105 pounds at shoulder height; digging with a shovel up to eight hours a day; ability to work in confined spaces and use and wear SCBA equipment; ability to hold body from contacting soil in grinding, buffing and welding; ability to communicate hazardous situations to others.
DOT REGULATIONS REQUIRE DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING AND RELEASE OF INFORMATION FORM (49 CFR PART 40).
FIRST CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET ALL THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Full-Time; Regular; Non-Exempt; Union-Represented
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Installs, maintains, and repairs gas main and service lines; fuses poly pipe; glues PVC and ABS plastic pipe; installs anode and isolation fittings.
- Operates various testing equipment, gas leak detection equipment and pipe locating equipment.
- Operates light equipment; performs preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Provides assistance in locating gas main and service lines.
- Installs cathodic protection on steel gas lines.
- Participates with work crews in the installation and maintenance of gas distribution and transmission facilities.
- Provides assistance to equipment operator by digging or spotting during excavation to cover or uncover gas lines.
- Participates in the fabrication of steel welding projects by buffing and grinding on low pressure and high pressure gas systems.
- Provides documentation of work orders, maps and cards.
No specific educational requirement; two years of experience as a laborer or construction helper, which includes six months in natural gas systems. Previous experience in the operation of light equipment is desired. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
Requires a valid driver's license. Valid Class B commercial driver’s license with tanker endorsement must be obtained within ninety days of hire. Class A commercial driver’s license preferred. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City policy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
General knowledge of: Methods and procedures for installing, maintaining, and repairing gas services; safety equipment and procedures used when working on and around various utility lines; tools, equipment, materials, and supplies needed for installing, maintaining, and repairing gas lines.
Ability to: Take accurate measurements; follow established procedures for installing, maintaining, and repairing gas services; operate a motor vehicle and navigate across even and uneven surfaces; use test equipment and hand/power tools; perform high school-level reading and writing; interact with coworkers and the general public to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
Skills in: Equipment and tool use.
City of Las Cruces, NM - 15 months ago