High School Diploma or Equivalent Required
The Coding Specialist 1 is responsible for reviewing CPT and diagnosis codes assigned by the medical provider in the clinic outpatient, nursing home or home setting. The Coding Specialist 1 will apply and mission CPT, HCPCS or ICD 9 codes and apply standard coding practices to ensure complete and compliant billing.
- Required: High School Diploma or GED
- Desired: Associate degree in Health Information Management, Business, Finance or Accounting.
- Desired: Experience in a healthcare facility preferred.
- Required: Working knowledge of CPT, ICD9 and HCPCS. Ability to make simple math equations and prepare records following detailed instructions. Basic computer skills. Ability to complete designated annual competencies.
- Desired: Microsoft Office experience preferred.
- Required: Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Coding Specialist - Physician based (CCS-P) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) within 90 days of employment.
Physical Requirements/Demands of the Position
- The Coding Specialist 1 must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer keyboard and monitor. Must be able to lift 25 pounds.
Gundersen Health System - 15 months ago