The Registered Nurse will ensure quality and efficiency of educating patients as the “study nurse” in the Heart Failure Simulation (HF Sim) Study. This study, to be conducted at Intermountain Medical Center, will randomize patients hospitalized with a primary diagnosis of heart failure to usual care versus a one-hour session of heart failure education in a room meant to simulate home circumstances. This individual assumes an active nursing role through this simulated education, assessment of learning and study documentation. This individual will coordinate and provide education to patients and families as directed in the Heart Failure Simulation Session.
Shift Details : This position is a temporary, PRN position. There will be approximately 225 hours distributed over the span of roughly a year (or study duration). This position is not eligible for benefits.
Benefits Eligible: No
Job duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Strong knowledge of, or interest in learning about heart failure self-management
- Work with PI to finalize simulation session and pilot test prior to enrollment
- Understand and follow the HF Sim Study protocol
- Willingness to work flexible, part-time hours to accommodate variable subject enrollment. This equates to roughly 225 hours of work distributed over the span of roughly a year (or study duration).
- Objectively evaluate and resolve any clinical and/or coordination efforts related to logistics of the study.
- Work closely with Principle Investigator and study coordinator to identify eligible patients and to ensure all appropriate protocols and documentation occur.
- Create and maintain required documentation for the study
- Establish and maintain communication with the patient and family/SO, bedside RN, and attending service to ensure comprehensive information is provided about the requirements for completion of the patient in this study (randomized to usual care, usual care + walk by the Sim Room, or 1-hour Sim session
- Function as a resource to others in regards to the purpose and methods of this study
- Complete and maintain all competency requirements of an acute care RN.
- Assess patient’s clinical status during Sim Session and alert provider and bedside RN for any acute events
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from an accredited institution (education will be verified).
- Current RN License
- Healthcare BLS Certification
- Five years of experience in hospital and/or occupational health
- Hearing/Listening, Lifting, pushing patient in wheelchair, Manual Dexterity, Seeing, Standing, And Reaching.
- Three or more years realted experience as an RN.
- Three years of experience in patient education.
- Proficient with both Microsoft Word and Intermountain Healthcare's Hybrid Electronic Medical Record System
All positions subject to close without notice
Intermountain Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V
Intermountain Healthcare is an internationally recognized system of 22 hospitals and a full range of medical services, multi-specialty...