1. Develops new software and works on various associated development tasks in accordance with pertinent established standards under a team leader.
2. Participates in a cross-functional team within a specific content theme.
3. Participates in code reviews as needed and as assigned by their respective project team leads and department leadership.
4. Reports time and work effort progress to PM and team leads according to established company standards and/or as needed and requested.
5. Provides input into project technology issues and direction to their respective project team leads as appropriate.
6. Ability to accurately render level of effort estimates based on information known at the time that estimate is required.
7. Monitor bug tracking (Jira) queue for tasks and update tasks with relevant information in a timely fashion.
8. Ensure that the sanctioned project and development process are followed and note exceptions as necessary.
9. Participate in meetings with other personnel, including Automated Testing,
10. Product, Architecture, Publishing Operations, and management.
11. Read and review functional specifications and test cases to ensure accuracy and develop understanding of business requirements.
12. Mentor less senior developers.
13. Recommend competitive advantages gained by emerging technologies.
14. This position requires successfully independent collaboration and with others both internally and externally with other departments.
15. Other duties as assigned.
* Minimum of 7 years templating experience (ex: Django, Zend Framework, etc.)
* BS/BA degree in Computer Science or Engineering or a minimum of 5 years software development experience in relevant development languages and technical platforms
* Ability to work independently and within a team
* Ability to write documentation including, but not limited to, technical specifications and use cases
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* Candidates must submit online portfolio
* Template layout & rendering experience
* Experience building responsive templates
* CSS3 and knowledge of browser-specific implementation/limitations
* A strong grasp of HTML5 standards
* Experience with distributed version control systems, preferably Git
* A strong grasp of current browser technology
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to follow company coding / formatting standards
* Experience with back-end and front-end performance optimization
* Expertise with testing using unittest and other common testing tools
* Expertise using debugging tools such as Firebug/Web Inspector and djangodebug-toolbar, ipdb, and ipython
* Experience working with 3rd party SDKs and APIs
* Social media integration (OpenGraph, etc.)
* Software and system architecture experience
* Unix experience
Discovery Communications, Inc. - 9 months ago
Discovery Communications allows viewers to go on safari without ever having to leave their couch. It is the world's #1 non-fiction...