Make a Difference
Linux System Engineer
Parsons offers the U.S. Government qualified and clearable personnel to solve engineering, intelligence, information technology, facility, environmental, and energy needs. Our staff has supported mission-critical, homeland security, installation/base optimization, range sustainability, space exploration, unexploded ordnance cleanup, missile defense, and disaster relief programs both here and around the globe. We excel in delivering to mission-critical expectations.
Parsons makes the world a safer place
Parsons is seeking a Linux Systems Engineer / Systems Integrator for a position located in the Columbia, MD area.
Candidate duties will include receiving and developing requirements, design, FOSS / GOTS / COTS software integration, system automation, configuration management policy development, system maintenance, troubleshooting, possible deployment for installation and end-of-life cleanup. Typical day-to-day activities include troubleshooting and resolving systems / communication issues as they arise, implementing and integrating new capabilities, increasing automation via combination of system scripting and Puppet policy development. Typical semi-routine activities include patching / building FOSS / GOTS software products, building Redhat packages, augmenting existing Puppet policy to integrate new capabilities supporting mission needs, and applying security updates and patches to fielded systems. Due to small team size expect to be involved in multiple platforms performing a wide variety of tasks.
Successful candidates must meet the following requirements:
· Multiple years of Linux engineering experience (i.e. building solutions, not just administrating)
· Multiple years of systems automation experience with command line tools (awk, sed, etc.) and one or more scripting languages (Python, Perl, bash, csh, tsch, Ruby, etc.)
· Some experience securing systems running Linux operating systems.
· If no Linux related certs, believe they can take and pass the RHCSA certification examination within 3 - 6 months without additional training
· If no CISSP or Security+, believe they can take and pass one of these certification examinations within 3 - 6 months without additional training
· RHCSA certification (Redhat Certified Systems Administrator)
· CISSP or Security+
· Some experience with one or more FOSS IDS software packages (bro, snort, sguil, base, gulp, etc.)
· Some experience with Linux virtualization tools (vmware, kvm/virt-manager, etc.)
· Some experience building software from source and/or packaging into Redhat Package Manager (RPM) packages.
Ideal (+ preferred):
· RHCE certification (Redhat Certified Engineer)
· Some experience with linux / unix configuration management solutions (puppet, cfengine)
· Some experience with linux status monitoring solutions (hobbit/xymon pref, but any including nagios would be useful)
· Some experience with high-performance IDS monitoring (pfring, ntop, system performance tuning, etc.)
· Some network or host forensics experience (i.e. network traffic analysis w/ wireshark, sleuthkit, encase, etc.) - Not strictly needed, but having this background will make it easier to predict customer needs and potentially anticipate them.
· Some experience with patching and securing Microsoft Windows operating systems (Windows XP / Windows 7 preferred)
Parsons offers an ethical, challenging, diverse, rewarding and fun work experience where enthusiastic, responsible people use their energy, talent and dedication to make a difference in the world.
We provide career growth and development, a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; tuition reimbursement program; credit union membership; and a 401(k) plan.
Parsons is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. M/W/D/V.
Founded in 1944, Parsons, an engineering, construction, technical, and management services firm with revenues of $2.7 billion in 2011, is 100% owned by the Employee Stock Ownership Trust. We conquer the toughest logistical challenges and deliver design/design-build, program/construction management, professional services, and innovative alternative delivery solutions to private industrial customers worldwide as well as to federal, regional, and local government agencies. Parsons is a leader in many diversified markets with a focus on infrastructure, environmental, and defense/security. Currently, more than 11,500 Parsons’ employees are engaged in more than 2,200 projects in 50 states and 26 countries. These dedicated workers speak 79 languages collectively, and hold more than 7,700 college degrees and professional registrations. Parsons' employees continue to go anywhere in the world, meet every technical and management challenge, and persevere until the job is done.
Jan 22, 2013, 10:19:00 AM
Parsons Corporation - 21 months ago
Founded in 1944, Parsons, an engineering, construction, technical, and management services firm with revenues of $3 billion...