Assists Press Operator with press make ready, operating, and maintaining printing press. This includes pulling appropriate samples and inspecting for accuracy and consistency. Analyze and interpret various color, register, and fountain solution requirements necessary to obtain and maintain print quality. Keep constant check on production to insure proper counts for regular or special runs and deliveries. Assist in making folder changes or adjustments, and insure stack adjustments are made correctly. Accurately make out load flags and place on appropriate load. Assist in keeping fountain full. Help check new forms delivered to press with layout and print order. See that reel and/or folder adjustments are made. Assist operator by checking color, lineup and fold; checking press for mechanical deficiencies; and checking dampening units, solution and fountain level controls. Assist on make ready by packing, mounting plates and blankets; adjusting fold; making adjustments to the stacker and folder as necessary; replacing and adjusting ink rollers, lubricating parts and cleaning fountains. Keep all working areas neat and clean. Upgrade to Press Operator as necessary. Work in a manner that is safe to self and other team members.
- General knowledge of offset presswork procedures and materials.
- Ability to read and follow job specifications to determine press set-up materials needed to run the job successfully.
- Skill to follow instructions to operate equipment safely and produce the desired product.
- Ability to use micrometer to mount and align the printing plate correctly.
- Ability to make adjustments to feeder and feed board (e.g., ability to adjust suctions and blast, front and side guides and the timing of the head stops).
- Skill in performing routine operational maintenance and minor repairs to equipment under guidance of senior level Press Operators.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be available for overtime.
- Must be able to stand entire shift.
- Must be able to lift up to 75# with 35# frequent.
- Previous experience in the operation of a printing press or work in a printing environment preferred.
- Some experience in the operation of various hand tools including line gauge, loupe, plate wrench, blanket wrench, brush gauge, ink knife, chisel and punch preferred.
- Strongly prefer web offset press experience.
RR Donnelley is a global provider of integrated communications. The company works collaboratively with more than 60,000 customers worldwide...