The New York Times Company, a leading media company with 2010 revenues of $2.4 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, 15 other daily newspapers and more than 50 Web sites , including NYTimes.com , Boston.com and About.com . The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
ConsumerSearch.com, one of the largest web sites running Drupal, is looking for a talented Director to
manage and work with its development team. This team builds, maintains, and operates all hardware and
software for ConsumerSearch based on Drupal, PHP, MySQL. All development is done in a UNIX-based
The ideal candidate will be an expert in web-based technologies and understand the business
ramifications of accurate, reliable, and efficient programming. This position calls for a motivated and
meticulous team leader who believes in both effective time management, realistic development timelines,
scalable code, and well-documented design. This is a hands-on position that requires both active long
term product and personnel development management and day-to-day programming, operational, and
internal request support. The ideal candidate has experience in both agile software development and
leveraging open source solutions as well as superior communication skills to successfully interact with
non-technical members of our team.
code and solutions.
- Ensure the continued uptime and capability of ConsumerSearch.com by producing scalable, low-defect
site operation and enhancement.
- Participate in a full project life-cycle environment: design, build, test, release, support, enhance.
- Manage development team work flow to meet product launch deadlines.
- Create, track, and oversee completion of various tickets for bug fixes, new product development and
by bringing new ideas and methods into the team.
- Proactively improve and enhance the technology used by ConsumerSearch and ConsumerSearch.com
ConsumerSearch and About to define and implement new and existing products, services, and
- Manage and work with other development team members and interact with other groups at
- Support the editors and writers in using the tools created to manage site content.
- Integrate third-party tools and data feeds.
- Support various ConsumerSearch units in defining and implementing project requirements, definitions,
subversion, memcache, and shell scripting.
- Extensive experience creating and modifying Drupal modules.
- Strong UNIX user and developer skills.
- Experience developing for high traffic web sites with millions of visitors each month.
- Able to read and modify code written in other programming languages.
- Strong knowledge of SQL queries and relational database concepts in MySQL.
- Solid knowledge of TCP protocols and communication techniques.
- Experience diagnosing and solving performance bottlenecks and root causes.
- Experience working with load balanced web servers and shared storage.
- Highly adaptive and a promoter of change.
- Dedicated to meeting and delivering on business objectives.
- Experience managing developers and projects, especially when the development team is remote.
- Strong communication and management skills in multiple mediums (email, IM, IRC, Skype, face-toface).
- Strong problem solving abilities.
- Able to calmly handle production issues and unforeseen operational difficulties.