BI Production DBA III
Reports To: DBA Manager
Location: Durango or Denver (Denver Tech Center), CO
Mercury is an integrated transaction processing company created to enhance point-of-sale systems by offering credit, debit, check, gift card and loyalty processing. Mercury’s integrated Internet protocol (IP) or dial-up processing solutions are fast, reliable and affordable. Retailers can leverage the reliability and enhanced efficiency of integrated payment processing to increase productivity and customer satisfaction. Mercury helps resellers increase their opportunities with reseller support and superior technology. Mercury is in the business is to help other business’s prosper.
Ensures availability, performance and accessibility of databases to meet business needs
Essential Functions include the following. Others may be assigned.
Qualifications - to perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential functions satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability needed or desired.
- Production DBA Functions include
- Backup strategy, review, maintenance and annual testing
- Database recovery to meet business requirements
- SQL Server product installation
- Database installation and deployment, including patches, upgrades and utilities
- Security administration, review and audit
- Database normalization and de-normalization
- Replication and transformation services management
- Performance Tuning
- Server sizing and configuration
- Data cleanup, data refresh
- Promotes usability of databases to support business needs; Works with customers to recommend query tools to assist with data retrieval requirements
- Works with business units and customers to define data recovery requirements, SLA's and implement systems to ensure requirements are met
- Reviews and recommends improvements for current production processes operating procedures, and completes/improves on daily operational monitoring checklists
- Researches, designs, communicates, and leads to implement best practices around production database administration, operations and support
- Organizes and leads process improvement teams oriented towards continually improving database production support processes and systems
- Responsible for maintaining internal best practice library for database production operations
- Work with customers to develop and consistently update the Production Database service catalog based on the needs of the customers
- Attends change management, On Call and product-rollout meetings as required
- Ensures customer data access requests are managed appropriately and completed in a timely manner
- Teaches and assists internal customers on how to safely and efficiently access data necessary for their business needs
- Proactively reviews and troubleshoots performance issues related to production databases and data retrieval; communicates issues to senior team members for collaborative problem solving
- Authors process and systems documentation; participates in knowledge sharing with the database team and other stakeholders
- Communicates production related issues to appropriate stakeholders in a collaborative, problem solving manner
- Collaborates and consults, in an urgent manner, with users, operations and developer teams to overcome significant operational and/or technical issues
- Reviews Emergency Changes, Standard Changes and recommends additions and updates of the Database Operations Standard Change Master document, in compliance with the enterprise-wide change management process
- Performs code and design reviews with the Database and Business Intelligence Development Teams
- Accepts and complete assignments with an open, cooperative, positive and team-oriented attitude
- Develops and maintains knowledge of applicable products, technologies and services as they evolve, and regularly engage in knowledge transfer with team members as appropriate
- Serve as part of an on-call rotation with some after hours work required
- Actively participates in team meetings and 1 on 1 communications
- Adheres to company policies as defined
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related field preferred.
- 5-7 years’ experience in implementing and maintaining SQL Server production and non-production environments including clustered environments, including:
- Performance tuning, query optimization, performance monitor and other related monitoring tools
- Proficiency with indexes, including, but not limited to, management, checks, configuration and patching.
- Backups, restores, DR drills, recovery models, database shrink operations, clustering, database mirroring and replication.
- Trouble-shooting and resolving database issues including, but not limited to: integrity, performance, blocking and deadlocking, replication, log shipping, connectivity and security
- Detecting and trouble-shooting SQL Server related CPU/memory, I/O, disk space and other resource contentions
- 5-7 years’ experience T-SQL programming
- 3-5 years’ experience with MS Office suite
- MS SQL DBA Certifications strongly preferred
- Expert experience in implementing operational automation.
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices
- Strong understanding of Virtual environments
- Strong understanding of SQL Server replication strategies
- Strong understanding of DTS/SSIS
- Functional knowledge of Windows servers, security delegation, SANs and storage components.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing SSIS, SSRS and SSAS is a plus
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; must be able to document processes and procedures clearly and effectively (e.g. runbooks, topology, etc.).
- Ability to work well in a team environment, as well as individually.
- Ability to work a rotating 24x7 on-call support schedule.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Strong written and oral communications
- Thorough reading comprehension
- Proactive troubleshooting, listening and problem solving skills
- Critical thinking using logic and reason
- Excellent time-management skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-task environment
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to interact with a diverse population
- Ability to work on computer for long periods of time
- Ability to accept and evolve with changes in policies and procedures
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear; both on the telephone and in a personal environment. The employee frequently is required to use hands to handle, feel or type. The employee is occasionally required to climb stairs, stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Each Mercury employee plays a role in the success of company relationships with Developers, Resellers and Merchants. These partnerships translate internally to create a trusting and cooperative team environment. Both internal and external partnership success relies on every Mercury employee understanding and participating in their individual team function to their highest ability.
At Will Employment
This document describes the position currently available. It is not an employment contract. Our company reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.
I have carefully read the above and signed below to indicate my voluntary and knowing agreement to these provisions.
Known as an "innovations" leader in the Payment Processing Industry, Mercury was awarded in 2011 for the 2nd year in a row the top (GOLD) award in the Payment Processing category and Best Overall Retail Technology Vendor at RSPA. We were honored with a “Best Company To Work For In Colorado” and a ColoradoBiz Magazine “Top Company” award in 2008. Headquartered in Durango, Colorado, with a second office in Denver, we offer challenging career opportunities in a fast paced, strategic work environment. EOE
About Durango, Colorado
Durango is situated at the southwestern foot of the Rocky Mountains at an elevation of 6,500 feet. The population is about 17,000 (50,000+ countywide). Surrounded by some two-million acres of San Juan National Forest land, the area is a natural playground for all who appreciate spectacular views and outdoor experiences. Though Durango is a geographically, culturally, and economically diverse area, the thread that ties its citizenry together is quality of life.
Durango was recently ranked the #1 “micropolitan” area in the United States by an independent economic research firm, Policom. Durango was ranked first out of 576 micropolitan (less than 50,000 people) areas studied. The study ranked over 23 different economic factors, including wages and earnings. Large corporations and small main street shops thrive in Durango. Mercury is among Durango’s largest employers.
Small enough to feel personal and uncongested, Durango is large enough to offer a diverse selection of recreational, entertainment, cultural, and educational opportunities. Locals and tourists alike enjoy Durango for its high mountain vistas, powder skiing, cycling, kayaking, rafting, fishing, and lingering hints of western lore. Our playground is the entire four corners area, from hot desert to mountain summits.
No wonder why Durango residents are some of the most fulfilled in Colorado and the US.
Mercury is one of North America’s most innovative and fastest growing payments processing / merchant acquiring companies. As the...