UNIX System Administrator
San Francisco, CA USA
- Familiarity with most basic system administration tools and processes; for example, can boot/shut down a machine, add and remove user accounts, use backup programs and fsck or chkdsk, maintain system database files (groups, hosts, aliases, usermanager).
- Fundamental understanding of an operating system; for example, understands job control, soft and hard links or shortcuts, distinctions between the kernel and the user environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of writing purchase justifications, training users in complex topics, making presentations to an internal audience, and interacting positively with upper management and regular users. Patience is key!
- Comfortable supporting and Internal IT environment as well as a small production web installation.
- Independent problem-solving, self-directed.
- Comfortable with most aspects of operating system administration; for example, configuration of mail systems, system installation and configuration, printer systems, fundamentals of security, installing third-party software.
- Has a solid understanding of a UNIX-based operating system; understands paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do, filesystem concepts (inode, clustering, logical partitions).
- Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing environment concepts; can configure NFS and LDAP, NT domains; can use nslookup or dig to check information in the DNS; understands basic routing concepts.
- Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (Perl, Python, Ruby, a shell).
- Ability to work using a ticket system (RT)
- Ability to troubleshoot basic hardware problems including PCs, Macs, and servers
- Familiarity with networked/distributed computing environment concepts; for example, can use the route command or administer routing and remote access service, add a workstation to a network, and mount remote filesystems.
- Familiarity with the following: RedHat, Fedora, OpenBSD, Solaris, Windows, Tomcat, NFS, DHCP, DNS, Samba, LDAP, Apache httpd, kickstart, Nagios.
Desirable Background and Skills
- Three to five years of system administration experience.
- A degree in computer science or a related field.
- Some programming experience in Java
- Familiarity with the following: Asterisk, Polycom IP phones, SuSE linux, MacOS, Postfix, Mailman, Zimbra, Cisco VPN, Bacula, Postgresql, Autoyast, Jumpstart, automounter, RT, VMware, Puppet
- Receives general instructions for new responsibilities from supervisor.
- Administers a complex site alone or assists in the administration of a larger site.
- Initiates some new responsibilities and helps to plan for the future of the site/network.
- Evaluates and/or recommends purchases; has strong influence on purchasing process.
Terracotta - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard