The SQL Server Database Engineer will provide timely and quality database maintenance and support services for internal and external customers. They will manage highly-resilient corporate and cloud database infrastructure utilized by GHX DaaS/SaaS solutions.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
The Database Engineer will work with various operational and development teams to implement and support core database functionality that meets company initiatives with respect to performance, scalability, reliability, and adherence to operational policies and principles. Specific responsibilities include:
- Administration and management of GHX databases, including:
- Backup and recovery
- Monitoring of data database capacity and performance
- Security and data access management
- Installations, upgrades, and patching
- Fail over server management
- Performance tuning
- Release Management/Continuous Integration
- Reporting and metrics development, analysis and presentation
- Safeguard the company's data, tools and information systems by adhering to Operational and Security policies and procedures throughout lifecycle of service delivery.
- 24/7 monitoring, on-call support and troubleshooting database issues, provide operational feedback to development and release teams.
- Implement and maintain automated processes using standardized shell scripting tools.
- 3-5 years’ experience in Database Administration
- SQL Server 2008 experience (with exposure to any other database platforms a plus)
- Part of a support organization involved in implementation projects
- Ability to manage databases in a high transaction/high availability environment
- Hands on experience with Windows operating systems in a physical and/or virtual environment (with exposure to Solaris, UNIX or Linux operating systems a plus)
- Solid ANSI SQL (PL/SQL, T-SQL) development skills
- Experience working with project managers/scrum masters to implement new projects and resolve issues
- Liaising directly with customers of an IT organization
- Exposure to ITIL / ITSM / Managed Services / DevOps / SOA operational models
- A working knowledge or experience with hybrid and public cloud concepts a plus
Professional demeanor and strong work ethic Disclaimer
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in CS or related discipline or equivalent experience
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills
- Interpersonal skills with a strong orientation towards customer service
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with demonstrated commitment to production of high quality documentation
- Excellent team player with good experience working with departmental and cross functional teams
GHX provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. GHX complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
GHX expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of GHX’s employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
GHX - 14 months ago