To provide technical support and assistance to students, college staff, and community members; and to maintain the open and instructional lab environments in accordance with established procedures and guidelines.
SCOPE AND NATURE:
Positions in this classification perform first level technical support at the college Service Desk. They assist the college community with software, the online information system, email, network storage, and others. The work requires good customer service skills and a good working knowledge of a variety of computer technology and software to respond to questions and to diagnose and resolve minor technical problems.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities (include, but not limited to):
(Specific positions in this classification may have special duties and qualifications of a similar scope and nature. Duties listed may also vary in terms of relative importance.)
1. Assist students and staff in accessing, using, navigating, and understanding a variety of computer software and applications.
2. Assist students and staff in finding, using and understanding assigned instructional materials including computer-assisted materials.
3. Serve as single point of contact for students, staff and community regarding college information systems, an online learning system, email, network storage, and technical problems.
4. Perform initial questioning/problem diagnosis to determine nature and extent of hardware or software problems. Resolve problems or escalate problems to the appropriate technical staff. Verify and reset passwords as required. Document support requests.
5. Explain, demonstrate and operate computer equipment and software.
6. Oversee, monitor, and maintain the computer lab to include cleaning, ensuring equipment is functioning properly, performing routine repairs, stocking supplies, scheduling rooms, and opening and closing the lab.
7. Assist in the preparation and dissemination of informational sheets and guides to students and instructors regarding how to use computer software applications.
8. Compile and maintain Service Desk metrics and statistics.
9. Provide assistance with other project tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability Requirements
1. Ability to communicate effectively via phone and in person and to maintain effective working relationships with students, instructors, staff, and the public.
2. Ability to problem solve and provide excellent customer service.
3. Good working knowledge of Internet, web technologies, electronic mail, MS Windows, and office applications to include word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, publishing and database software.
4. Basic knowledge of computer hardware and current operating systems software.
5. Basic knowledge of LAN and wireless networking
6. Ability to troubleshoot and perform routine maintenance on computer equipment and peripheral devices.
7. Ability to use and understand technical manuals.
8. Ability to work with minimal supervision and to organize and prioritize work.
9. Some physical ability to bend, stoop, crawl and to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
Education and Work Experience Requirements
1. Associate degree in computer technology, computer support or equivalent.
2. One year work experience in customer service; prior experience in a help desk setting is desirable.
This position supports the Department of Information Technology Service (ITS) and is available immediately.
Please attach a resume to the online application.
Salary is listed at 2012-2013 rates.
The hours for this position is as follows:
Mon: 10:00am - 6:30pm
Tue: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Wed: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Thu: 10:00am - 5:30pm
Fri: 10:00am - 2:00pm
One rotating Saturday approximately every five (5) weeks with the hours of 9:00am - 1:00pm.
This is a level 6, 12 month position.
The testing for this position will assess the following areas that are listed under the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: 1, 2, 3, and 4.
Waukesha County Technical College - 21 months ago