The Senior Automation Engineer reports to the Senior Manager of the Automation group. The position is responsible for providing Automation Engineering support at the Amgen Rhode Island site. Specific duties include:
• Applies advanced engineering principles to the design and implementation of system modifications, experiments and/or capital projects; develops, organizes, analyzes and presents interpretation of results for operational issues or engineering projects of significant scope and complexity
• Manages and/or applies extensive technical expertise in the coordination of multiple, complex, non-routine projects involving the planning, design, reconfiguration, construction, maintenance and alteration of systems, facilities or processes.
• Working closely with multiple disciplines, including manufacturing, process engineering, utility operations, maintenance, quality assurance, and validation to implement operational improvements
• Provide technical support to commercial and clinical manufacturing as needed
• Troubleshoot and resolve equipment, automation or process issues in the field
• Ensure optimal and cost-effective performance and reliability for process systems
• Develop, organize, analyze, and present results for operational issues and engineering projects of moderate scope and complexity
• Communicating proactively with supervisor and support staff, highlighting issues and proposing solutions
Doctorate degree OR Master’s degree & 3 years of experience directly related to the job OR Bachelor’s degree & 5 years of experience directly related to the job OR Associate’s degree & 10 years of experience directly related to the job OR High school diploma / GED & 12 years of experience directly related to the job
• Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or related technical field
• 5+ years experience in engineering in a manufacturing support environment with at least 3 years experience in the Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology industries.
• Experience with Mammalian Cell Culture, Protein Purification, Clean Utilities, CIP, SIP and Production Services.
• Experience with Tech Transfer, Process Design, and Commissioning
• Experience with validation and change control methodology
• Direct experience with regulated environments (i.e. cGMP, OSHA, EPA) including detailed understanding of cGMPs.
• Position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work with minimum direction.
• Demonstrated interpersonal and facilitation skills and ability to work in a collaborative team based environment.
• Ability to apply analytical skills to evaluate and interpret complex problems using multiple sources of information
• Demonstrated ability to lead and influence cross-functional teams and embrace a team-based culture
• Familiarity with DeltaV DCS, Allen-Bradley PLCs and OSI PI Historian preferred.
• Direct hands on experience with lifecycle management of DeltaV hardware and software infrastructure preferred.
Amgen is among the biggest of the biotech big'uns, and it's determined to get even bigger. The company uses cellular biology and medicinal...