Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Department: Maintenance of Equipment
Post Date: 01/11/2013
Close Date: 01/25/2013
Hay Point Evaluation: 634
2012 Salary Range: Minimum: $71,516/Midpoint: $89,395
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Location: Hillside Support Facility
Reports to: Manager-Shop Equipment Planning & Engineering
This is a Non-Represented Position.
Please note that this position has been designated as a "Policy Maker," pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
Responsible for all activities related to the design, fabrication, modification and testing of shop equipment mechanical systems and components, including control and protective devices. Position is responsible for development and documentation of technical specifications, procedures, testing and inspection criteria. Position will also ensure the safe installation of new or relocation of existing shop equipment along with the engineering documentation and procedures for operating shop equipment.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Perform engineering analysis and design shop equipment, upgrades and develop the documents, analysis and approval of new Rolling Stock Support Equipment (RSSE) designs relevant to LIRR fleet.
- Investigate and evaluate new shop equipment, components, alternate material and equipment sources, through our Procurement & Logistics Department as well as outside suppliers and Engineering manufacturing facilities.
- Participate in field tests, First Article Inspection (FAI) activities and acceptance testing of new shop equipment or upgrades as well as installation reviews.
- Development of technical material and equipment specifications in support of programmed maintenance programs and service demands.
- Create complete and detailed layout drawings specifying installation procedures for new or relocated shop equipment.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- Perform other assignments as requested by Sr. Management.
- Bachelor's of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering and related work experience.
- Familiarity with Shop Equipment engineering, maintenance, and/or utility/structural issues for proper support of new, modified, relocate equipment or equivalent experience.
- Must possess a minimum of 7-10 years mechanical engineering experience an industrial maintenance or production environment.
- Must be knowledgeable in plant layouts, work measurement, material specifications, mechanical and production standards and working knowledge of Occupational Safety & Health Adminstration (OSHA), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), and American National Standards Institute (ANSI) rules.
- Must possess sound communication skills (oral and written).
- Must possess knowledge of sound engineering techniques and logic and ability to develop technical documents.
- Must possess the ability to work under pressure in analyzing engineering and technical issues that will impact shop operation.
- Must possess personal computer skills in applications such as but not limited to: word processing, spreadsheets, database programs and the use of Engineering software such as the latest AutoCAD.
- Must possess solid technical and practical experience with Shop Equipment
- Must possess demonstrated decision-making, problem-solving and judgment skills relevant to the Shop Equipment Engineering field.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
- Second or advanced degree in Engineering or Management.
- Familiarity with Capital Program project management procedure and procurement process.
- Professional Engineer Certification.
- Minimum of five years of supervisory or management level.
- Experience with Rolling Stock Shop Equipment (RSSE): specification development, alternative research.
- Membership and participation in engineering associations.
- General knowledge of work conditions in a union shop environment.
- General knowledge of shop craft labor agreement.
- General knowledge of rolling stock support design and engineering.
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e. physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go to https://portal.mtabsc.info/psp/PXPRD/EXTRANET/PAEXT/h/?tab=DEFAULT, sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to Job Listings (Internal).
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. As such, we encourage applicants from women and members of minority groups.
MTA - 20 months ago