Planned Parenthood of Northern New England (PPNNE) is the largest nonprofit provider of reproductive health care and sexuality education in northern New England. PPNNE ActionFund, the nonpartisan political arm of PPNNE, engages in legislative advocacy, voter education, and grassroots organizing. Founded in 1965, Planned Parenthood of Vermont gradually expanded through mergers with other family planning organizations in New Hampshire and southern Maine to create a tri-state organization in 1992. One of the largest of 73 affiliates of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), PPNNE has a staff of 200 and a $19 million budget. For over twenty years, we have provided essential and affordable reproductive health services for diverse urban and small rural communities in the three states; promoted healthy sexuality through training and education programs; and advocated for reproductive rights and freedom in three different regulatory and political environments.
In 2011, PPNNE adopted a bold new vision embracing sexual health for all, with the motto: “We are your sexual health experts. Nothing will freak us out.” In response to changes in health care delivery, persistent assaults on access to reproductive health services, and the needs of a new generation of women and men with different attitudes about sexuality from those of previous generations, PPNNE is reinventing its patient service and educational programs. We have rebranded and redesigned five health centers; begun leveraging technology to provide more efficient operations; developed a proactive public policy program to overcome legislative threats and defunding efforts; galvanized new activists and interns for grassroots support; and engaged with patients and teens—online and in peer-group trainings—in dialogues about sexual health.
Our Health Centers
With a dedicated and mission-driven staff, PPNNE serves more than 43,000 women, men, and teens annually at 21 health centers. We provide a wide range of high-quality, affordable, and confidential health care services—the majority of which are preventative in nature, including: birth control; annual exams; emergency contraception; STI testing and treatment; pregnancy testing and options counseling; both medical and surgical abortion; breast, cervical, colorectal, and testicular cancer screenings and follow-up services; testing and treatment for urinary tract and vaginal infections; immunizations for HPV & Hepatitis A&B; and prenatal referrals.
Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont
Northern New England boasts a beautiful and varied landscape featuring mountains and lakes, as well as rugged Atlantic coastlines. It is home to small towns, urban areas, and rural enclaves—strong and diverse communities united by caring people who want to make a difference. Complementing our major health centers in Manchester NH and Portland ME, PPNNE’s central administration is located in Burlington VT—politically progressive, socially liberal, family friendly, and supportive of our mission. With four colleges and a university in or near the city, most employment is in the technology, creative, and education sectors, and the area hosts many national, statewide, and local nonprofits working for social justice. Burlington’s scenic location supports outdoor activities year round, from sailing on Lake Champlain and enjoying the city’s waterfront bike path, to hiking, climbing, and skiing in the Green Mountains.
President & CEO LEADERSHIP
The Organization’s leadership at PPNNE has begun a collaborative effort to transform its operations, and now seeks a President & CEO to lead our affiliate in pursuit of our bold new vision of sexual health for all.
Reporting to and working with the Board of Trustees, the President & CEO has responsibility and is accountable for managing the strategic, programmatic, and financial operations of the organization. In partnership with the Board of Trustees and staff, s/he provides visionary and collaborative leadership in health services, education, and public policy, in order to reach and serve PPNNE’s target audiences, and develops positive relationships with the philanthropic community.
The President & CEO will steward and nurture an organizational culture which embraces collaboration, trust, and open communication, creativity and accountability, empathy for clients and colleagues, courage, humor, and passion. In doing so, the President & CEO will galvanize the potential of a decentralized organization with a highly capable staff, and ensure that all activities and programs meet the highest standards of ethics and integrity in alignment with PPFA’s accreditation standards and values. The position is based out of the Burlington administrative offices, and requires extensive travel by car within the three states.
The Board of PPNNE has identified the following goals for the incoming President & CEO:
The ideal candidate should be passionate about our mission and committed to our values. Qualified applicants will demonstrate capacity for visionary, strategic leadership through inspiration, effective communication, and action. We seek a leader who is inclusive, who treats people with respect, and who has an engaged and collaborative management style.
- Lead PPNNE’s transition to a new health care marketplace.
- Building upon the vision adopted in 2011, design and implement an operational plan with specific long and short-term goals and priorities to ensure a stable, sustainable organization with an achievable business model, highly efficient operations, increased volume and market share.
- Ensure that PPNNE becomes a “provider of choice” and that the plan is sufficiently flexible to respond to the evolution of healthcare, potential new revenue streams, and challenges in the three-state political environment.
- Capitalize on opportunities presented by implementation of the Affordable Care Act to build strategic partnerships with payers, providers, and government entities in the three states.
- Enhance PPNNE’s operational efficiency and accessibility through technological advances while maintaining its quality of care.
- Lead fundraising to complete a $25 million capital campaign in partnership with a strong development department, committed board members, and volunteers.
- Increase PPNNE’s visibility in the community.
- Communicate PPNNE’s vision widely. Serve as an impassioned, eloquent advocate for sexual health and reproductive rights and the value of PPNNE’s services to a wide range of community stakeholders.
- Ensure that public policy is proactive and effective. Oversee collaboration with key legislators, and support coalitions with policy advocates across the three states and with the diverse reproductive rights and social justice movements to advance PPNNE’s mission.
- Support the development of new models of education and outreach to engage young women and men as patients, advocates, and future supporters and to assess emerging customer needs for all programs.
- Enhance PPNNE’s organizational culture.
- Foster collaboration, cohesion, and unity of purpose throughout the organization. Develop, inspire, and retain a productive, enthusiastic, and diverse work force.
Candidates should have the following professional qualifications and experience:
Ideally, the successful candidate will:
- Demonstrated commitment to reproductive rights and an understanding of the range of critical issues at stake today.
- Experience in financial planning and prudent management with a similar size budget and complexity.
- Proven leadership in a service-driven institution, preferably within the healthcare field, and sophisticated understanding of healthcare delivery, payment, and the complexities of healthcare reform.
- A record of collaboration and consensus building with capacity to foster cooperation and energize the internal and external constituencies to achieve the organizational strategic objectives and ensure long-term health of the organization.
- Proven management skills with demonstrated business acumen to ensure sustainable results-oriented business operations. Ability to delegate authority and responsibilities appropriately and be capable of managing a three-state organization with different regulatory and compliance requirements while incorporating client satisfaction into all aspects of operations.
- Demonstrated success and experience in raising money for non-profit organizations and enthusiasm for developing productive relationships with foundations and major donors.
- A record of success working in partnership with a board, staff, and volunteers of diverse personalities and talents.
- Outstanding public presentation and writing skills and the capacity to communicate effectively with the media, policy makers and other stakeholders in an influential and compelling manner.
- Excellent advocacy skills and political judgment. The CEO must be capable of building coalitions and strategic partnerships within and across the three-state region and with a diversity of constituents.
- Facility with new technology, its use in operations, as well as communications and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree in related field is preferred.
Send your electronic resume, including salary history, and cover letter to:
- Be an inclusive, personable leader who listens respectfully and who values working in partnership with board, staff, and volunteers.
- Possess financial acumen in order to balance opportunities with considered risks.
- Be a visionary and strategic thinker who inspires and builds upon the strength of the management staff to ensure that PPNNE is a resilient organization.
- Possess excellent communication skills and the self-assurance, resilience, patience, and good humor to withstand intense public scrutiny.
- Exhibit the highest level of ethical and professional integrity.
- Be an energetic, enthusiastic person who maximizes opportunities, manages and prioritizes multiple activities, makes decisions with deliberation and creativity, and achieves results.
- Be comfortable working in an open space that lends itself to a transparent leadership style
Kathleen Landry, SPHR
Vice President of Human Resource
Planned Parenthood of Northern New England
128 Lakeside Avenue, Suite 301
Burlington, Vermont 05401
Phone: 802. 448. 9741
Fax: 802. 660. 9438
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis; the position will be open until filled. To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.ppnne.org
Planned Parenthood of Northern New England is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
Atlantic Information Systems - 16 months ago