Salesforce.com transformed the enterprise software market with cloud computing. We’ve launched business apps and platforms that are as easy to use as Amazon.com and as social as Facebook. And now we’ve got our sights set on the next generation of cloud computing. Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as the world’s 4th fastest growing company, our technology teams are the brains behind visionary technologies like the Force.com platform, and enterprise social collaboration tools like Salesforce Chatter and the AppExchange marketplace. With more than 5,000 employees, the first enterprise cloud computing company to exceed $2.0B in annual revenue run rate, and more than 97,700 customers worldwide, we are proud to contribute to the success of companies of all sizes and industries, around the globe. We're also one of the "Best Places to Work" (FORTUNE). If you're passionate about innovation, come help revolutionize how companies collaborate and communicate with customers.
As a System Administrator in the Technical Operations organization you will join the team responsible for designing, building and maintaining innovative infrastructure solutions that support the needs of our R&D organization.
- Designs/implements complex local and wide-area networks of machines for both a physical and virtual environment.
- Works under general direction from senior management.
- Establishes/recommends policies on system use and services.
- Designs systems architecture given business requirements.
- Builds out new environments as needed for new projects within R&D.
- Troubleshoots internal and external applications, hardware problems, operating system issues and work with new services on a daily basis.
- Supports, configure, and automate the deployment of our Solaris, Linux and VMware infrastructure through our existing kickstart/Jumpstart infrastructure.
- 5+ years experience with RedHat Linux.
- 3+ years experience with managing large VMware vSphere infrastructure.
- Experience in automated kickstart deployments for VMware ESX 4.x.
- Experience in utilizing auxiliary vSphere components such as VMware Update Manager and CapacityIQ.
- Experience in using vCLI/vSphere SDK for Perl for automating and configuration of ESX and vCenter hosts.
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnosis performance issues in a VMware vSphere environment.
- Experience building and configuring systems to support large-scale web applications and databases.
- Ability to program in an administrative language (Perl, bash, python, etc.).
Maintains availability, performance, and growth of multiple critical VMware environments.
SAN/NAS experience with physical and virtualized environments.
- Understands secure authentication mechanisms such as Kerberos, NIS+, etc.
- Solid understanding of UNIX Security theory/practice.
- Good understanding of UNIX OS theory and fundamentals.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills; capable of writing proposals or papers, acting as a vendor liaison, making presentations to customers or client audiences or professional peers, and working closely with upper management.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and automate processes.
- A solid understanding of an operating system; understands paging and swapping, inter-process communications, devices and what device drivers do, filesystem concepts (inode, clustering, logical partitions), can use performance analysis to tune systems.
- VCP 4.x Certification (VMware Certified Professional)
- 3+ years experience with Solaris.
- 3+ years experience with enterprise SAN fabric and arrays.
- Thorough understanding of the VMware vSphere API including the ability to debug existing scripts and code snippets.
- Experience working with VI Java API.
- Experience in deploying and managing I/O Virtualization technology.
- VCAP-DCA or VCAP-DCD Certification (VMware Certified Advanced Professional Datacenter/Administrator).
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent experience. The ideal candidate will have:
- An understanding of networking/distributed computing environment concepts; understands principles of routing, client/server programming, design of consistent network-wide filesystem layouts