For decades, CH2M HILL has been a global leader in engineering, consulting, design, program management, construction and operations, working on the most challenging and impactful projects around the world. Through these challenging projects, we develop our people — who transform complex and creative ideas into reality, every day. Join us and together we can work to build a sustainable world. We support you to reach your greatest career goals through continued professional development, a positive work life balance and undeniably cool engineering projects. Join employee-owned CH2M HILL and discover why our diverse team has been consistently ranked as one of the leading employers and repeatedly recognized as a best place to work in the U.S.
Construction, Operations & Maintenance Jobs in Alaska
In the arctic and subarctic regions of the world, our Alaska group provides construction operations and maintenance services to the upstream oil and gas industry. Our experienced workforce and proven systems enable us to anticipate, avoid, and remove risk in the dynamic arctic environment, ensuring safe, cost-effective, and environmentally sound project delivery. Your job in the Alaska Energy and Chemical group is your opportunity to join a highly trained and engaged workforce working to meet the global demand for fuel. Are you ready?
Description and Desired Qualifications
Responsible for all aspects of maintenance and the repairing of heavy and light equipment
The position is located on the North Slope and requires a rotational work schedule. Relocation assistance to Alaska is not provided; however transportation between Anchorage and Prudhoe Bay is provided. Room and meals provided while in Prudhoe Bay.
Essential Job Functions:
- Analyze, diagnose; repair, and provide maintenance of heavy and light duty equipment such as hydraulic boom cranes, , motorgraders, bulldozers, front end loaders and tractor-trailers
- Dismantles, repairs and reassembles equipment using hoists, handtools and pneumatic and electric tools
- Work on engines, structural systems, hydraulic and electrical systems, and subassemblies such as transmissions and differentials
- Tests overhauled equipment to ensure operating efficiency
- Perform duties in shop or in field as necessary
Knowledge, Skills, Ability:
- Knowledge of diesel theory, hydraulics, electrical and pneumatic systems
- Knowledge of heavy equipment and/or light duty equipment preventative maintenance
- Knowledge of and experience in lubrication procedures for all types of heavy equipment common to heavy construction and oilfield service industries
- Ability to maintain equipment maintenance records
- Ability to give and receive oral safety warnings, instructions, and task assignments
- Ability to use hand and power tools
- Ability to read and understand schematic, blueprint/drawings, job descriptions, maintenance, safety, technical manuals and safety and warning signs
Physical Demand/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is required to:
- Must have ability to stand, walk on level, uneven and slippery surfaces, sit, squat, kneel, reach through low and high ranges and exhibit normal balance and coordination. These basic physical requirements are essential for safe performance of the job in harsh environments with exposure to very cold temperatures and while wearing arctic gear
- Lift 40 lbs from floor to knuckles with one hand x 2 with a 12 second interval
- Lift 40 lbs from floor to waist x 2 with a 12 second interval Lift 40 lbs from floor to crown x 5, with 12 second intervals
- Carry: Carry 35 lbs with two hands for 50 feet x 2. Self-paced, but continuous. (Allow a 60 second rest break between carry tests.) Push horizontally at waist level – 86 lbs peak force (e.g., Peak push force to move tool cart 50 feet)
- Stairs: Climb up and down 15 steps per flight x 10 for a total of 150 steps. Self-paced, continuous. Allow a 60 second rest break after climbing up and down each set of 50 steps.)
- Slanted Ladder: Climb up and down 10 rungs x 6 for a total of 60 rungs. Self-paced, but continuous. (Allow a 60 second rest break after climbing up and down 30 rungs.)
- Repetitive Kneeling Test: Perform from standing, kneel on one knee, alternate from left to right knee, x 5 each knee
- Repitive Stoop Test: Perform from standing position, bend forward at waist as far as possible without bending the knees with hands reaching toward the floor x 5, self-paced, but continuous
- Repetitive Squat Test: Perform a functional squat and stand x 5
- Twist and Flex Test: Perform from standing alternate toe touches x 5 to each side to assess ability to twist and flex the trunk repetitively
This job description is intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of the job incumbents.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon:
- Demonstrated ability to perform the physical requirements (listed above) of this position via the successful completion of a Fitness for Duty Evaluation;
- Negative results in a drug test
- Attainment of a North Slope Training Certification (NSTC) via completion of modules
CH2M HILL will schedule and cover program costs for Fitness for Duty Evaluations, drug tests, and NSTC training for job candidates. Candidates will not be compensated for their personal time spent completing these programs or for costs of previously attending the NSTC training, drug test or FFD evaluation.
- Minimum one (1) year of heavy equipment maintenance experience or associate's degree or certification from an accredited diesel/heavy equipment technology program required
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Valid driver's license required and ability to be insured by CH2MHILL's auto insurer required
- Five (5) years experience as a mechanic in a heavy equipment dealership or industrial equipment maintenance shop preferred
- Experience working with remote North Slope operations preferred
- Candidates with late model class 8 tractor and/or late model Caterpillar equipment experience prefferred
High School or GED
What you will find
At CH2M HILL, the greatest challenges provide the biggest rewards. Each day, your drive and creative ideas will be providing solutions that help build a better tomorrow. Whether it is the pride that comes with accomplishment, personal growth or making a difference in the world, you will discover true success in a career that brings out the best in you at CH2M HILL. Ready? Let's get to work. Developing People through Challenging Projects CH2M HILL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At CH2M, we love to take on our clients' most complex infrastructure and natural resource problems, creating new pathways for human...