Provide technical expertise for the management of Environmental Health & Safety programs at Amgen. Perform EH&S duties for program design, development and implementation. Independently take actions with impact in area of responsibility and programs. The Senior Manager is responsible for providing technical and administrative leadership in Process Safety Management and High Risk Activities (HRA) Risk Management program areas as well as providing client support to specific higher hazard clients.
The position requires a focus on continuous improvement. It is expected that the Senior Manager will provide direct support for assigned programs and projects, support Serious Incident investigation and Root Cause Analysis, support Operational Excellence initiatives and help drive overall risk mitigation and risk reduction initiatives.
1. Regulations – Ensure compliance with EH&S federal, state and local regulations. Evaluate existing and new regulations’ impact upon Amgen operations. Develops new programs and implement changes as necessary and provides recommendations to senior management.
2. Agencies – Primary interface with EH&S regulatory agencies. Be recognized as a program liaison to external agencies. Prepare for and conduct inspections with agency representatives present. Prepare responses notice of violations, proposed compliance orders, cease and desist orders to ensure Amgen liability is minimized.
3. Support Amgen Operations – Evaluates current and future operations to determine strategic and global EH&S initiatives regarding the development and implementation of EH&S programs. Assess EH&S practices to manage Amgen’s long term liability for planning, acquisitions, etc.
4. Training & Procedures – Make recommendations and provide resources for the development and implementation of safety training programs for Amgen staff. Implement & document procedures/policies for Amgen operations.
5. Projects – Developing program changes necessary to support global business objectives. Analyze existing and future processes; assess regulatory impact of future changes, and benchmark against industry standards to identify cost-effective solutions to reduce EH&S impacts upon operations.
6. Internal Auditing – Design and implement programs for conducting periodic audits/inspections of Amgen operations. Provide recommendations on audit protocols and technical expertise for internal audit program.
7. The Senior Manager provides leadership in designated program areas as well as oversight for contingent support staff.
8. The role requires prioritizing workload and resources to effectively support multiple program areas and projects with complex scope, schedule and management objectives.
9. Measuring and meeting key performance metrics, ensuring goals and project milestones are completed on time, and participation in strategic initiatives.
*Other functions that may be assigned
BASIC EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree in IH, Science or Engineering & 6 years of directly related experience
Bachelor’s degree in IH, Science or Engineering & 8 years of directly related experience
2 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software systems.
• Must have good technical & business writing skills and good communication and team skills.
• Advancement requires increased independent actions, responsibilities, program development and project management.
• Experience working in and leading cross functional teams
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast paced environment
• Experience in planning, organizing and tracking the work of others
• Strong project management skills
• Strong presentation, written and verbal communication skills. Ability to provide status updates to all levels of management.
• Demonstrated team leadership, mentoring and staff development skills and the ability to build a team by inspiring and motivating others so that extraordinary results are achieved from staff.
• Proven ability to establish and communicate goals and objectives to staff
• Experience applying continuous improvement principles and tools
• Demonstrate a high degree of creativity, foresight and mature judgment in anticipating and solving problems.
• 5 + years directly managing people
• Fully Bilingual English / Spanish
Amgen is among the biggest of the biotech big'uns, and it's determined to get even bigger. The company uses cellular biology and medicinal...