The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
The Burke Museum currently has an outstanding opportunity for an Assistant Collections Manager . Under general direction from the Archaeology Collections Manager, this individual will assist with and coordinate the day to day collections care, student activities and general office operations of the Archaeology Department of the Burke Museum.
Please Note: This position is only available to current University of Washington employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform data backups
• Order office supplies, answer phones, manage files
• Provide safety training and tours for new staff and students
• Participate in Archaeology Department All-Staff staff meetings and other meetings as required
• Assist with grant applications, including gathering background data and equipment needs
• Track and log status of incoming and backlogged collections
• In consultation with Collections Manager, work with students, hourly staff and volunteers to implement the following tasks:
o Inventory incoming collections
o Isolate and monitor collections for pest infestation
o Label, identify, catalog, photograph and rehouse artifacts
o Enter archaeological collections data into Excel, PastPerfect, and ICMS; perform data imports
o Implement appropriate housing for a variety of objects and material types
o Prepare loans, including condition reporting, photographing, data-entry and couriering collections as needed
o Assist visiting researchers/scholars: Monitor insect traps and record environmental conditions, as needed
• Train, and direct the collections work of students as described above
• Evaluate student work and provide feedback to Supervisor and students
• Schedule student hours, as appropriate, and compile student, volunteer and hourly schedules
• Guide behind-the-scene collection tours
• Organize and assist with field trips
• Assist with planning and implementation of public events including Archy Day, Behind-the-Scenes Night, Artifact ID Day, Chocolate Science Fair
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our benefits website .
Bachelor’s degree in history, anthropology, archaeology, museum studies, fine arts, education or closely related field and two years of experience as a museum curator or equivalent. Some positions require a Bachelor’s degree related to an assigned collection specialty. Some positions allow experience in historic preservation, or in historic or natural science research or interpretation, to be substituted, year for year, for education.
Intermediate to advanced understanding of Excel and experience with PastPerfect Museum Software. Knowledge of Washington State and Northwest Coast artifacts required.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Master's degree in established museum studies program.
Condition of Employment:
A satisfactory outcome from a criminal background verification may be required prior to hire.
Part of the application process for this position includes completing an on-line Employment Eligibility assessment to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. The assessment will appear on your screen for you to complete as soon as you select "Apply to this Position" on this job announcement. Once you begin the assessment, it must be completed at that time. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until the assessment is complete.