Responsible for logging in coal samples into the computer and performing laboratory tests to determine chemical and physical characteristics or composition of solid, liquid, or gaseous materials for such purposes as quality control, process control, or product development.
Branch Manager; Minerals Services
- Proximate analysis of coal and other fossil fuels (including moisture, ash, volatile matter, calorific value, sulfur, etc.) using appropriate designed equipment.
- Prepares organic and inorganic matter for analytical testing.
- Performing routine quality control to insure quality of work.
- Sets up, adjusts and operates laboratory equipment and instruments such as microscopes, centrifuge, agitators, viscosimeter, chemical balance scales, spectrophotometer, gas chromatograph, colorimeter, and other equipment.
- Tests materials, and other products for such qualities as purity, stability, viscosity, density, absorption, burning rate, and melting or flash point.
- Tests solutions used in processes for chemical concentration, specific gravity, or other characteristics.
- Tests materials for presence and content of elements or substances such as hydrocarbons, manganese, natural grease,
tungsten, sulfur, cyanide, ash, dust, or impurities.
- Tests samples of manufactured and natural products to verify conformity to specifications.
- Records test results on standardized forms and writes test reports describing procedures used.
- Prepares graphs and charts.
- Calibrates laboratory instruments.
- Prepares chemical solutions according to standard formulas.
- Adds chemicals or raw materials to process solutions or product batches to correct or establish formulation required to meet specifications.
- Ensures laboratory area is cleaned and organized; and equipment is cleaned and sterilized.
- 12 hour roating shifts, including two weekends a month and scheduled holidays.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred.
- 1 to 3 months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience prefered.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.) and other applications.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check prior to employment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms with all levels of management, both internal and external to the department.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels both internal and external to the department.
- Ability to gather and review resources and select and synthesize data for reports and other written materials.
- Ability to work independently, often under pressured situations, within a team environment.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to make sound suggestions or recommendations.
- Excellent organization skills which includes the ability to execute several assignments simultaneously while dealing with a steady of seemingly conflicting requests/priorities.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- SGS is an equal opportunity employer.
SGS is the world's leading independent testing, inspection, verification and certification company in the world.