High school (G.E.D) One or more years of clerical/office experience is required.
Requires knowledge of the CPT and ICD coding and customer service encounter process which may include scheduling, registration, contract requirements, financial guidelines, coordination of services and billing process in terms of what and how work is to be done as well as why it is done. Also requires ability to keep current on coding changes and willingness to help physicians and other staff with coding questions.
Mental Power: Ability to make decision that are varied, but are usually confined to situations which are familiar. There are several defined alternative solutions available.
Mental Power: Ability to exercise choice in how work is accomplished with independence to operate within established policies, procedures and schedules.
Physical Power: Walks, sits, stands in place, arms/wrist/hand movement, lifts. Lifts up to 25 pounds. Communicates on phone and in person.
Primary Job Functions
Summary of Primary Functions
- Responsible for following HIPPA and correct coding guidelines
- Maintain up-to-date working knowledge of all Electronic Medical Record and EPIC workflow, this will include coding guidelines. . To include quarterly and monthly meetings or training sessions.
- Follow Electronic Medical Record workflows in regards to communication and correction of errors to ensure the accuracy of the patient medical record.
- Serves as the key site contact for patients and internal customers related to researching and answering billing questions.
- Coordinate all activities surrounding charge posting to include verification of coding, tracking down charges, responding to special requests for information from physicians.
- Obtain customer demographic information, verifies insurance utilizing on line systems to ensure a clean claim submission.
- May answer routine questions regarding hospital and departmental operations, policies and procedures for charge entry, ICD-9 and CPT coding.
- Complete all encounters in the site work queue, assigning codes and correcting errors to include the utilization of the in basket orders to ensure a clean claim.
- Maintain and foster effective public relations with patients, providers and internal customers.
- Monitor all processes for behavioral accounts and HRA encounters.
- Performs other functions as required.