Classification Title: Exec Secretary to Top Exec
Working Title: Senior Executive Secretary
Department: Office of the Provost
Salary Range: 45,000-60,000
Hours/Week: 40 hours/week (Monday-Friday)
Posting Dates: February 7, 2013-February 21, 2013
The University of Michigan-Dearborn (UM-Dearborn) is one of the three campuses of the University of Michigan. UM-Dearborn, a comprehensive university offering high quality undergraduate, graduate, professional and continuing education to residents of southeastern Michigan, and attracts nearly 9,000 students. Faculty and students have the opportunity to collaborate across all three campuses in research and scholarly activity. UM-Dearborn is located ten miles west of Detroit and thirty-five miles east of Ann Arbor. The campus is strategically located on 200 suburban acres of the original Henry Ford Estate in the Greater Detroit Metropolitan region.
The University of Michigan-Dearborn has an exciting opportunity currently available for a Senior Executive Secretary. The overall responsibility of the Executive Secretary is to manage the affairs of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. This includes, among other responsibilities: managing the calendar of appointments for the provost and assistant provost; exercising judgment in scheduling the most effective use of the provost's time; setting priorities for the provost's appointments; making arrangements for both professional and personal travel; editing correspondence from the provost's office; ensuring accurate and complete communication with the Board of Regents on matters of the faculty; coordinating the academic units' promotion and tenure materials for submission; preparing agendas; organizing and distributing appropriate background materials in preparation for meetings, and in response to inquiries; reviewing incoming mail for sensitivity and urgency and obtaining information to facilitate anticipated action on the part of the provost; planning receptions, luncheon meetings, and activities in close partnership with the university's events manager; and ensuring confidentiality and high quality assistance.
The Executive Secretary provides support such as answering telephone inquiries, arranging conference calls, obtaining pertinent information and arranging return calls from the provost. The Senior Executive Secretary represents the Office of the Provost and supports critical communication between the office and the campus community, including the regular updating of the office website. The position also involves assisting the campus community with the interpretation of university policies, procedures, and guidelines as it relates to academic affairs and other duties and activities as assigned.
- Administrative and process management experience, 3-5 years required; preferred minimum of two years of experience at the executive assistant level;
- Bachelor's Degree in a business related field preferred;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong professional interpersonal skills;
- Experience at the intermediate level with Word, Excel, and Power Point;
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with different kinds of constituencies;
- Flexibility to function effectively in a fast-paced customer-service environment;
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team;
- Experience with priortizing and experience with handling multiple assignments and deadlines simultaneously when needed;
- Experience with exercising sound judgment and discretion when dealing with highly sensitive information;