PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Supports FMCNA’s mission, vision, core values and customer service philosophy. Adheres to the FMCNA Compliance Program, including following all regulatory and FMS policy requirements.
Assists pharmacists by working directly with physicians, physician offices, dialysis facilities, and other pharmacies to ensure that patients’ medication profiles are accurately completed and that patients receive the necessary medication refills in a timely manner.
DUTIES / ACTIVITIES:
- Responsible for driving the FMS culture through values and customer service standards.
- Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external and internal customers.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships through effective and timely communication.
- Takes initiative and action to respond and follow up regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely manner.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Under the guidance of registered pharmacist, takes the appropriate actions to ensure the accuracy of patient medications files for enrolled or prospective patients and the accurate fulfillments of prescriptions for enrolled patients.
- Work primarily with patient medication prescriptions and with medication prescribers.
- After receipts of patient authorization, contacts physician offices, dialysis facilities and other pharmacies regarding the accuracy and fulfillment of prescriptions for enrolled or prospective patients.
- Ensures that patient medication profiles are accurate and sent in a timely manner.
- Ensures that patient prescription needs are met in a timely manner.
- Speaks with physicians or nurses to verify correct information about a specific prescription.
- Regularly requests prescriptions and refills from physicians by telephone and/or facsimile. Follows up as necessary to ensure the timely receipt of new prescriptions.
- Contacts pharmacies to execute patient medication transfers to FMCRx.
- Collaborates with Patients Service Coordinator for all communication with patients regarding prescription issues or other identified anomalies pertaining to prescriptions.
- Ensures issues are resolved according to procedures, escalating the more complex issues to supervisor as necessary.
- Enters, scans and links prescription and patient data into RxKey.
- Contacts appropriate parties or researches National Provider Identifier /Drug Enforcement Agency databases (NPI/DEA) when information is missing.
- Works to resolve Prior Authorizations and if necessary, contacts the insurance company for verification when Prior Authorizations are required.
- Ensures the required level of customer service for patients by:
- Prioritizing and completing assigned tasks appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Provides backup as necessary for Patient Service Coordinator during peak high volume times by taking patient calls.
- Transcribes verbal prescriptions phoned in by physicians and/or left on voicemail.
- Takes appropriate actions necessary to ensure accurate fulfillment of prescription(s).
- Assists pharmacist in dispensing as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma required.
- Pharmacy Technician Certification required.
- Registered or able to be registered as a Pharmacy Technician in the state of Tennessee.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Four years experience in healthcare or pharmacy, with 2 years as a Certified Pharmacy Technician required.
- Understands the importance of, and demonstrates a customer service philosophy.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Computer skills.
- Develops a working knowledge of pharmacy dispensing regulations, pharmacy data systems, and pharmacy billing practices and policies.
- Develops a working knowledge of standards medical abbreviations and medical terminology.