The System Administrator II position is responsible for the effective design, provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers, and partners to provide excellent care to our patients.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of our standard Project Management Methodology. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions.
This individual would share responsibilities for the support of following systems: Windows and VMware ESX 3.5/4.x systems, Citrix XenApp 5.x and newer, Exchange 2007, SQL 2005/2008, Meditech 6.0 HCIS, as well as varied departmental healthcare application; Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
The SA team is widely responsible for supporting over 200 individual applications in a healthcare environment that requires 24/7 up-time. This individual would be required to be a team player able to work on many systems both those for which they are assigned primary responsibility as well as those outside their primary focus.
Our team and company culture value the input of individual contributors, no matter seniority, and expects all members of the team to contribute ideas/solutions to challenges in the environment in a calm, thoughtful, and courteous manner. While, as in any organization, there can be high stress times, the systems administration team is tasked with maintaining a calm and well thought-out approach to solving problems in the face of stressful situations and customers. Must have the ability to maintain a calm and pragmatic problem solving ethic in time sensitive problem solving efforts in a 24x7 healthcare organization.
Responsible for management of day to service desk support and resolution of assigned tickets, and balancing day to day operational support and assigned project work.
Education or Formal Training
Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering or related field
CISCO and Microsoft Certifications a plus
Special Qualifications (licensure, registration, etc.)
A valid Colorado driver's license.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability
1. Extensive experience and working knowledge VMware ESX/vSphere products, Citrix XenApp application virtualization, Exchange messaging, SQL 2005/2008 database engines.
2. Extensive experience providing both end user documentation for a highly non-technical audience as well as for other IT staff.
3. Extensive experience troubleshooting complex systems with multiple vendors a plus.
4. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
5. Experience communicating to non-technical end users in a clear and concise manner.
6. Working knowledge of Intel server architecture and technologies (Dell preferred).
7. Working knowledge of Windows server OSes (32 and 64 bit) including 2003, 2003 R2, 2008, and 2008 R2.
8. Working knowledge of Cisco switches, IOS, ASA, and routing protocols a plus.
9. Experience in a healthcare environment with Meditech HCIS a plus.
10. Experience with Storage Area Networks (EMC Clariion) and fiberchannel switches a plus.
11. Experience with content addressable archive storage (EMC Centera) a plus.
1. Minimum five years experience as system/network administer in a large scale environment (100+ servers) with a large user population (1000+).
2. Experience working in a large multisite data center environment a plus.
3. VMware ESX and vSphere virtualization
4. Citrix XenApp 5.x or newer
5. Experience with Windows Sharepoint Services administration a plus
6. Microsoft Exchange 2007 or newer
7. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and newer
8. Windows server OSes (2003 and newer)
9. Microsoft Active Directory and Group Policy
10. SAN (EMC Clariion) storage arrays a plus
11. Meditech HCIS experience a plus
12. Trend antivirus a plus
13. Symantec BackupExec a plus
14. EMC Networker a plus
15. Cisco switches, IOS, ASA a plus
Materials and Equipment Directly Used
1. Dell Servers
2. Cisco switches
3. Dell LTO Tape libraries
4. EMC Clariion SANs and fiberchannel switches
Working Environment/Physical Activities
1. Infection control procedures for cabling
2. HIPAA privacy and security requirements
3. Firestop procedures for any wall intrusions
4. Physical requirements include the ability to lift forty pounds one foot for several minutes
5. Manual dexterity and hand/eye coordination capable of manipulation small switches, cables and hand tool in small areas.
6. Will need to travel to remote sites, which may include private residences.
7. Audio acuity for telephone use and detecting alarms.
8. Will work with users and vendors over phone devices giving and/or following verbal instructions.
9. Ability to work nights and weekends to support organizational needs on occasion
10. Rotates on an on-call rotation with team peers
Boulder Community Hospital - 22 months ago