The Arizona Department of Transportation ADOT) is a multi-modal transportation agency that is responsible for planning, design, building, operating and maintaining a complex highway system in addition to providing title, registration and driver license services to the general public throughout the State of Arizona. ADOT also operates and maintains the Grand Canyon Airport and publishes the award-winning Arizona Highways magazine. ADOT values its employees, challenges them to continuously improve the way we do business, to meet and exceed the needs of our customers, and to carry out their duties in an ethical manner. Apply today for a chance to become a part of the ADOT team.
TRANSPORTATION ENGINEERING SPECIALIST
ITD/Regional Traffic Engineering
Work Location: 1801 S. Milton Rd., Flagstaff, AZ
Position Description: Serves as a senior technical specialist, under the general supervision of the Northern Region Traffic Engineer, performing a variety of engineering duties in the field of traffic engineering. Review proposed development plans for compliance with traffic policies and standards and for operational efficiency. Review formal traffic impact analyses for developments submitted under the encroachment permit process. Field review internally and externally generated traffic signal, lighting, signing and marking plans and requests for operational efficiency and conformance to accepted standard. Review Department construction project development documents, encroachment permit applications and traffic control plans. Generate correspondence as appropriate for signature by the Regional Traffic Engineer. Prepare formal traffic engineering studies as needed. Conduct field investigations and collect field data region wide. Analyze operational, accident and geometric data to resolve traffic safety issues. Prepare work orders for implementation by regional signing and marking forces. Assist roadway maintenance orgs region-wide with in-house project design, traffic control issues and emergency response planning.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's):
* Principles and practices of civil engineering, as applied to traffic engineering.
* Traffic Engineering Standards and applications.
* A working knowledge of the Federal Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices and the Arizona Supplement.
* Extensive knowledge of project related contract, plans, specifications and documentation.
* Federal, state and agency standards, policies and procedures.
* Record keeping and documentation procedures.
* Computer programs applicable to traffic engineering and engineering analysis.
* Researching, reading and interpreting a variety of technical traffic engineering documents.
* Analysis, evaluation and preparation of engineering data.
* Use of computer software to document and analyze data.
* Advanced oral and written communications.
* Advanced technical writing.
* Interpersonal relations as applied in difficult situations.
* Work outdoors for extended time, exposure to heat, cold, dust and noise, near high speed traffic.
* Use mathematical computation in problem solving and solution.
* Travel to and overnight stay in any of the three districts located within the Northern Traffic Region (Flagstaff, Holbrook, Globe).
* Manage time to ensure that duties are complete and acceptable in timely manner.
* Maintain positive communications under difficult situations.
Ideal Candidate: Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field and two years traffic engineering experience equivalent to a Transportation Engineering Associate; or five years experience equivalent to Senior Transportation Engineering Technician. Any combination of training and experience that meets the knowledge, skills and abilities may be substituted for the required experience.
Note: This position requires possession of a valid Arizona Class D Driver License. Candidates for this position must complete and sign the Driver Form on page 6 of the State of Arizona Application for Employment at the time of interview, which will allow ADOT to obtain the candidate's motor vehicle record (MVR). The most recent 39-month period shown on the MVR will be reviewed in accordance with A.A.C. R2-10-207.12 (H) and (l). The review must show an acceptable driving record prior to any offer of employment being made by ADOT Employment is contingent upon an acceptable MVR.
You must apply online no later than the close date or first review date of the job announcement at 5:00 p.m., Mountain Standard Time. You will not be able to apply after the close date/time because job postings are removed from the job board at that time, unless other wise specified.
RETIREMENT: This position participates in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)*.
*ASRS enrollment eligibility will become effective after 27 weeks of employment, if not already an ASRS member at the time of hire.
BENEFITS: Comprehensive benefits package includes accrual of sick and vacation leave, and 10 holidays per year; health* and dental insurance*; retirement plan; life insurance; and long-term disability insurance. Optional employee benefits include short-term disability*, deferred compensation, and supplemental life insurance*.
*Elective benefits for new employees hired on or after July 20, 2011, will be subject to a 90-day waiting period, except for transfers from other State agencies or who regularly worked for the State of Arizona within 2 years prior to the date of hire.
Please visit http://www.azdot.gov/Inside_ADOT/HR/Employment.asp to learn more about benefits given to ADOT employees.
To submit your resume for consideration, please hit the "APPLY" button below.
AGENCY JOB BOARD ID: ADOT
State of Arizona - 2 years ago