** Position is represented by AFSCME - Clerical Bargaining Unit. Dues or Fair Share deductions will be made. **
High School Diploma or GED plus two (2) years of related office and administrative experience. Training/education may be substituted for one (1) year of experience.
Computer experience to include: MS Word, Excel and e-mail.
- Typing speed of 50 wpm.
- Experience with other MS Office programs.
- Ability to understand written and oral directions and instructions.
- Ability to perform manual tasks requiring coordination, dexterity, and strength adequate to lift and move objects of bulk and weight up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to work effectively with all types of people.
- Ability to organize work tasks and work independently in performing routine tasks.
- Working ability to perform tasks involving prolonged sitting, standing, bending, and twisting.
- Ability and knowledge to operate typewriters, computers, printers, calculators, telephones, copiers, fax, and other general office equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are typical for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
(30%) General Office:
- Greets and answers questions or concerns of the general public, visitors, or clients; receives calls and refers to appropriate staff member; maintains schedule for staff; and takes and distributes messages to appropriate parties.
- Prepares and weighs outgoing mail; receives and distributes incoming mail.
- Schedules/maintains schedule for office meeting rooms and public access to technology.
- Maintains the personal computer system; evaluates, purchases, and installs computer software and hardware.
- Performs a wide variety of administrative duties including preparing correspondence, typing letters and other documents, directing calls, operating facsimile machine, operating copier, waiting on customers, and searching and maintaining files.
- Reviews and receives various reports and documents related to the operation of a particular department, including time sheets, invoices, claim forms, inventory reports, annual report, newsletters, item record accounts, and vouchers.
(20%) General Administrative:
- Enters data into computer; prepares month-end closing entries; prepares departmental portion of financial statement; provides information to appropriate authorities for release of information.
(10%) Other Duties as Assigned:
- Assists, interprets and explains department policies, regulations, and operating procedures to employees, the public, and representatives of various private firms and governmental agencies.
- Collects and retrieves data related to specific public requests.
- Assumes delegated responsibility for administrative functions in the absence of the department head.
- Stays current and maintains up-to-date information on policy and regulation changes as they occur.
- Participates in staff development and conferences.
Appointment: 40% time (16 hours a week); Not Benefits Eligible, Union Represented (dues required)
University of Minnesota Extension is a University collegiate unit that partners with other University collegiate units to deliver research-based educational programs to the residents of Minnesota. Extension educational programs are organized and delivered through four structural units designated within Extension as Centers, each led by an Associate Dean. These Centers are: Youth Development, Family Development, Community Vitality and Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources. http://www.extension.umn.edu/.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The purpose of this position is to provide clerical, accounting and administrative support to Brown County Extension. Duties include, but are not limited to: serving as receptionist for University of Minnesota Extension in Brown County, entering detailed financial data; maintaining detailed technical records of the office; entering data into computer; preparing reports; answering the telephone; typing correspondence; and performing additional tasks as assigned by the staff. In absence of other supervisory personnel, oversees the technical areas of the department.
Work is performed within the office located in the County Office Building. Occasional lifting of up to 30 pounds will be required. Exposures may include, but are not limited to, communicable diseases. Duties include being able to perform the following movements on an occasional to continuous basis: sitting, bending, turning/twisting, walking, reaching, pulling, grasping and finger manipulation. Work involves use of computers, printers, calculators, telephones, copiers, fax, and other general office equipment.
Please apply, complete the online application and provide a detailed work history.
You may also attach a resume, cover letter and list of references, but are not required.
The University of Minnesota is committed to the policy that all persons shall have equal access to its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Does this position require a background check?
University of Minnesota - 16 months ago